Are you talented?

• Thread starter Poop-Loops
  • Start date
Elephants > Humans

or what

Evo

Mentor
Here are other videos of elephants painting other elephants with a zoomed out view so that you have the full body shot of the elephant while it is painting for all you skeptics.

please disprove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3WHhW4VykE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGEJKQzaMA&feature=related
You can't be serious. Do you see how many cuts there are? There is no continuous video of the elephant drawing anything. Just shots of him starting to hold up the brush.

Mk

I believe this video to be a hoax.

The best documentary on elephants I saw recently ripped at my heart. It showed the reunion between two elephants that had been separated for at least 25 years. They recognized each other, embraced, and cried tears and couldn't be separated.
The preserve you saw is near me. They are very protective of the elephants. The elephants live a good life and are well cared for.

www.elephants.com

Fine, here's another one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
Have you ever tried throwing darts? That stuff is HARD.

Evo

Mentor
Have you ever tried throwing darts? That stuff is HARD.
Yes, I've thrown darts, and inadvertantly did spectacular. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing and somehow won.

I can imagine an elephant's thrust would be much more than a man's.

Yes, but did you throw them with your nose?

There is no way that dart video is real. There was no Beer.

Are you saying that Darts can only be present in a B-Field?

Who... Me?

Evo

Mentor
Yes, but did you throw them with your nose?
If I stood close enough to have the same velocity as the elephant's throw, I'm sure I could do as well. An elephant's trunk is quite agile.

And I have insider information that the elephant had already embibed several gallons of Guinness.

Last edited:
Meh. Elephants aren't that intelligent. I know one that lost all its money betting on the Rangers.

Last edited:
Of course the elephant painting video is a fake. I saw it a few days ago and at first I was so amazed and I completely fell for it. The first half of the drawing blew me away, the second half though when it started going over lines to make them darker and then drawing the flower gave it away. It is a pretty good fake though they just went too far with it.

That elephants not talented, I can paint better than that. :tongue: I know apes paint, I'm sure elephants can paint, but whether they are budding artists with talent?

http://www.elephantart.com/catalog/splash.php" [Broken]

http://www.elephantart.com/catalog/splash.php" [Broken]

I think the paintings are more likely to look like this though:

gran184.jpg

EDIT: useless fact #283782636726732: elephants may well have more than 40,000 muscles in their trunk alone.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's an elephant doing tricks it was taught. What's the point? Have you never been to a circus?
As I said, even if it's a trick it was taught, it's still pretty incredible how precisely it draws...try to get a 5 year old to follow the lines that neatly. Heck, even if there's light pencil lines on the paper that we can't see, or someone coaching it or holding up pictures for it to copy just out of camera view, it's still pretty cool just for the control the elephant has over the paintbrush. (By the way, it is clear the elephant isn't the one deciding when to "refresh" the brush or picking colors...one of the wider angle shots shows the trainer exchanging brushes for the elephant.)

Oh c'mon moonbear. Don't tell me you really fell for it.

Evo

Mentor
As I said, even if it's a trick it was taught, it's still pretty incredible how precisely it draws...
I was referring to the video of it throwing darts at balloons.

You can't be serious. Do you see how many cuts there are? There is no continuous video of the elephant drawing anything. Just shots of him starting to hold up the brush.
Once again the burden of proof lies with the skeptic. Got any proof yet? I'm waiting. Please supply a link.

Evo

Mentor
Once again the burden of proof lies with the skeptic. Got any proof yet? I'm waiting. Please supply a link.
You post a chopped up and badly edited youtube video and claim it's authentic, I am afraid the onus is on you to prove that it's real. The burden of proof lies with you for claiming it's real. Where did you get the notion that the burden of proof is with the skeptic?

I could create hoaxes all day and then tell you that if you don't believe me that you are required to prove me wrong? :confused:

Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually not, we all know elephants can't paint like humans, you're trying to claim they can. I think I'd accept a simple rendering from an elephant but you're asking us to believe elephants are sophisticated self aware and talented artists. I'd say the burden of proof is on you to be honest.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof; it's not the skeptic's job to disprove an extraordinary claim.

A video that is zoomed in showing only the brush in the elephant's trunk is too easily faked.

Actually not, we all know elephants can't paint like humans, you're trying to claim they can. I think I'd accept a simple rendering from an elephant but you're asking us to believe elephants are sophisticated self aware and talented artists. I'd say the burden of proof is on you to be honest.
Where did I ever say elephants can paint like humans? All I said was that the elephant in the original video is the one actually painting the picture.

You post a chopped up and badly edited youtube video and claim it's authentic, I am afraid the onus is on you to prove that it's real. The burden of proof lies with you for claiming it's real. Where did you get the notion that the burden of proof is with the skeptic?

I could create hoaxes all day and then tell you that if you don't believe me that you are required to prove me wrong?

And what have you posted? Nothing.

Elephant art has been known since the '80s. What is in the original video is nothing new at all.