Find Area Btwn Curves: y=cosx & y=x/2-1

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding the area bounded by the curves y = cos x and y = x/2 - 1, with the left bound being the y-axis. The suggested method is to use technology, specifically Mathematica, to find the point of intersection of the two curves. However, it is mentioned that this equation cannot be solved explicitly and other methods, such as graphing and using intersect functions on a calculator, can be used to find the intersection point.
Jeff Ford
Write, but do not evaluate the integral that will give the area between [tex] y = cos x [/tex] and [tex] y = x/2 - 1 [/tex], bounded on the left by the y-axis

I've sketched the graphs, so I know that [tex] y = cos x [/tex] is above [tex] y = x/2 - 1 [/tex], so the indefinite integral to solve would be [tex] \int (cos x) - (x/2 -1) dx [/tex]

I know the lower bound is zero, since it's bordered by the y-axis, and I know that to find the upper bound I need to find the point of intersection of the two curves.

The professon told us to use "technology", which usually means Mathematica. I can't seem to get Mathematica to solve the equation [tex] cos x = x/2 - 1 [/tex]

Any advice on either how to get Mathematica to solve such an equation, or another method of finding the point of intersection?

Thanks
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
Using my calculator I get that their intersection is at [tex]x\approx1.646[/tex].

How did you manipulate the equation to calculate the answer? Or did you just use Newton's method?

Last edited:
I just used my calculator. I don't believe that this can be solved for explicitly. Newton's Method would work, but I graphed it on my TI-89 and found the intersection point.

Thanks for the help. I'm still getting used to the idea that most equations are unsolvable.

You can graph it on any graphing calculator and use the ISECT (intersect) function to find where they interstect, and that's your x value solution.

So you'd have:
y1 = cosx
y2= x/2 -1

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is ∫(f(x)-g(x))dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the two functions that make up the curves.

2. How do I graph the two curves y=cosx and y=x/2-1?

To graph the curves, plot points for both equations and connect them to form a curve. For y=cosx, use the unit circle to determine the points. For y=x/2-1, choose values for x and solve for y to plot points.

3. How do I find the points of intersection between the two curves?

To find the points of intersection, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for x. These x-values will be the x-coordinates of the points of intersection. Then, plug the x-values into either equation to find the corresponding y-values.

4. How do I determine which curve is on top?

To determine which curve is on top, look at the graph of the two curves. The curve that is above the other at a specific interval is considered to be on top for that interval. Alternatively, you can also compare the y-values of the two curves at a given x-value to determine which is on top.

5. How do I find the area between the two curves y=cosx and y=x/2-1?

To find the area between the two curves, first find the points of intersection. Then, use the formula ∫(f(x)-g(x))dx to set up and evaluate the integral, where f(x) and g(x) are the two equations. The resulting value will be the area between the two curves.