1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between curves

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the region bounded by:
    y=cosx, y=sin2x, 0, x=pi/2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made a graph. I believe I'm trying to find the area I shaded.
    [​IMG]
    red=cos(x), blue=sin(2x)

I need to find the intersection point so I will know the limits of my 2 integrals.

cosx = sin2x

But I don't know how to do this. There should be an infinate number of intersections, but I am only interested in the one that appears to happen around x=1/2 and the next one at what appears to be pi/2.

I can verify with my calculator that cos(pi/2) and sin(2pi/2) both equal 0, and that the right limit given by the problem is indeed the intersection, but that is not the case for the 1st intersection. How do I solve this? And what if the book gave the right limit as x=2. My method of eyeballing it and verifying my guess with the calculator would fail.

Assuming I find the intersection point, the next thing I was going to do is:
    [tex]\left( {\int_0^{???} {\cos x} \,dx\, - \,\int_0^{???} {\sin 2x} \,dx} \right)\, + \,\,\left( {\int_{???}^{\pi /2} {\sin 2x\,dx} - \int_{???}^{\pi /2} {\cos x\,dx} } \right)[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

sin(2x)=2 sinx cos x
    cos x= 2sinx cos x
    1=2 sin x
    sin x =1/2
    So the solution is arcsin (1/2). What value of sin x gives us 1/2? pi/6 of course.

Thats the systematic way of doing it, you may also have done cos x= sin (pi/2 -x) so equate them, sin (pi/2 - x)=sin 2x, 2x=pi/2 - x, 3x=pi/2, x=pi/6.

The 2nd way is only useful for angles less than pi/2, which means it can be used here.

Now that you have both intersection points just integrate as how you were going to do next, knowing the ???'s is pi/6.

4. Feb 3, 2007 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your reply.

sin(2x)=2 sinx cosx
    I guess that's just a trig identity I forgot? Playing with it on my calculator, I can see that it works for all values of x.

cosx = 2 sinx cosx
    Playing with this on my calculator, it does not work for all values of x. Is this a trig identity, or specific to this problem?

If specific to this problem, from sin(2x)=2 sinx cosx i get
    cosx = sin(2x)/2sin x

How did you get cosx = 2 sinx cosx ?

5. Feb 3, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Sin 2x = 2sinx cos x is a identity you just forgot.

Cos x= 2sinx cos x is specific to the problem. When we want to find points of intersection, we set the 2 functions to be equal, then solve. The functions we have are sin 2x and cos x. Since sin 2x=2sinx cos x for all x, we sub that in, then we have to solve cos x=2sinx cos x.

I dont know why you got cos x= sin(2x)/2 sin x, thats not needed.

cos x = 2sin x cos x

Divide both sides by 2 cos x, sin x=1/2. Solving for that, arcsin 1/2=pi/6

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The Indentity can be easily seen from expanding the formula for sin(x+y), letting y=x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?