Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between curves

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    Hello all.

This is not homework, i stumbled upon it looking for information for my physics.. I have some background in calculus and am just wondering if anyone would have any idea on how you'd solve this area problem.. all i have is a picture of it and not any equations of the lines.

Thanks.

429px-Green%27s-theorem-simple-region.svg.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sure. Print it, cut out the area, weigh the paper cutout (and weigh a full piece of paper with known dimensions). I still remember my undergrad Physics TA telling me about this technique...

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3

berkeman

Oh, and what is the context of the question?

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4
    Wow that's a very smart idea haha. Um, it was just finding out the way to calculate the area of the region D. Is there anyway mathmatically?

My thoughts are to take away the area of C1 from a-b from the area of C3 from a-b with integration.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5

berkeman

You said you had no equations. What do you plan to integrate?

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6

Mark44

I notice that the curves that bound the region are marked with arrows. Is this some kind of a path integral? I seem to remember that the line integral along a closed path in a conservative field is zero.

8. Jun 20, 2010 #7
  9. Jun 20, 2010 #8

Mark44

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook