How to Find the Area Between Two Curves with No Given Boundaries?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the points of intersection between two equations, y=sin(\frac{\pi x}{2}) and y=x, and then using those points to determine the boundaries for integration. The person is struggling with isolating x and understanding the concept of points of intersection. They are advised to form an equation in x alone to find the points of intersection and then use those points to integrate between them to find the area.
suspenc3
Hi, I am having a little trouble with this one, how do you do them when no boundaries are given?

[tex]y=sin \frac{\pi x}{2}[/tex]

and

[tex]y=x[/tex]

how do i find the boundaries?

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT:i know how to get the boundaries, but how do i know what numbers to integrate between?

Eeh, what about the interval [itex]0\leq{x}\leq{1}[/itex]??

why between 0 and 1
?..also..what is the integral of sin2x?

In an example in the book they find the points of intersection, is this how i do it?if so how would i find the points of intersection?

What does the term "point of intersection" MEAN?
Answer that, and you automatically may set up an equation whose solutions are the points of intersection.

You may graph the function for clearer understanding .

k..well cancel everyhting i said before..we have the two equations..I want to isolate x..and then find where the two curves intersect...

making it [tex]\frac{2y}{sin \pi} = x[/tex] is wrong isn't it?

how do i isolate x?

If I can find the points where the two curves intersect, then I can integrate between these two points to find the Area

Yes, that is wrong.
You have two equations in y and x .
The point of intersection has to satisfy both the conditions .
Now can you form the equation ?

Hint : Try to get an equation in x alone .

1. What is the concept of "Area between two curves"?

The area between two curves refers to the region enclosed by two mathematical curves on a graph. It is the space between the two curves, bounded by their common points.

2. How is the area between two curves calculated?

The area between two curves is calculated by finding the definite integral of the difference between the two curves, within the given boundaries. This can be done using mathematical formulas or graphing software.

3. What is the significance of finding the area between two curves?

The area between two curves has many applications in real world problems, such as calculating the volume of irregular objects, finding the displacement of an object over time, and determining the profit or loss of a business over a given period.

4. Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the upper curve is below the lower curve in certain sections. This indicates that the lower curve is above the upper curve in those sections, resulting in a negative value for the area between them.

5. What are some techniques for finding the area between two curves?

Some techniques for finding the area between two curves include using the fundamental theorem of calculus, finding the points of intersection between the curves, and breaking the region into smaller, simpler shapes whose areas can be easily calculated.