How to Identify Functions in Problems Involving Two Curves

In summary, there is a way to tell which y is f(x) or g(x) by determining which is above the other and where they intersect.
NIZBIT
I am trouble with problems that don't list each function f(x) or g(x). The book sets them equal to y. Every time I do these I'm getting them wrong. When I check the solution, I'm mistaking f(x) for g(x) or vise versa. So is there a way to tell which y is f(x) or g(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
An example might help be helpful.

NIZBIT said:
I am trouble with problems that don't list each function f(x) or g(x). The book sets them equal to y. Every time I do these I'm getting them wrong. When I check the solution, I'm mistaking f(x) for g(x) or vise versa. So is there a way to tell which y is f(x) or g(x)?

I can't say I understood your question, but referring to the title of the thread, the area between two 'well-behaved' functions f and g on the interval [a, b] is given with [tex]\int_{a}^b(f(x)-g(x))dx[/tex], if f(x) >= g(x), for every x from [a, b].

Of course, the region "ends" where the two curves cross- that is, they have the same y value for that x value. That's why your book "sets them equal to y"- to determine the y values where they cross and thus the limits of integration.
A little hint- if you area comes out negative, then you have the two curves in the wrong order!

This is what I'm talking about:

Find the area between these two curves-
y=x^2-4x+3
y=3+4x-x^2

Now how do you know which is f(x) or g(x)?

NIZBIT said:
This is what I'm talking about:

Find the area between these two curves-
y=x^2-4x+3
y=3+4x-x^2

Now how do you know which is f(x) or g(x)?

What? Neither is "f(x)" or "g(x)" until you name them! Call whichever you want f and the other g. It might be that your textbook is using a convention that "f" is always the "upper" curve and "g" is always the "lower" curve so that the area is given by [itex]\int (f(x)- g(x))dx[/itex]. If that is the case, then determine which is above the other. Hint: the first is a parabola opening upward, the second a parabola opening downward. You need to decide which is the "upper" curve and which the "lower" curve. You will also need to determine where they intersect.

I swear when I worked that problem out it only worked one way. Off the top of my head I had f(x) switched with what the book said. My way was wrong, but then I switched my f(x) for the books way I got the problem right. Had someone double check my math both times and it was good. Thanks for the help!

What is the "area between two curves"?

The area between two curves is the region that lies between two curves on a graph. It is the area enclosed by the two curves and the x-axis.

How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you first need to identify the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, you can use the definite integral to calculate the area between these two points.

What is the difference between finding the area between two curves and finding the area under a curve?

The area between two curves involves finding the area enclosed by two curves, while the area under a curve involves finding the area between a curve and the x-axis. In other words, finding the area between two curves is like finding the difference between two areas under two different curves.

What happens if the two curves do not intersect?

If the two curves do not intersect, then the area between them is equal to 0. This is because there is no region enclosed by the two curves and the x-axis.

Can the area between two curves be negative?

No, the area between two curves is always positive. This is because the definite integral, which is used to calculate the area, only considers the magnitude of the area and ignores the negative sign.