How do I solve for the area between two curves with an exponential function?

In summary: However, you can solve this problem without ever entering a single mathematical symbol by using the inverse function theorem. The inverse function theorem states that for every function there is a function that inverse to it (or, in other words, "undo" what the original function does). In this case, the inverse of ex is ex-1. So, to solve for x in between the curves, you would use the inverse function theorem and substitute ex-1 for ex. In summary, find the area between the following curves for x in [0, 3]. Give the answer to three decimal places.
just.karl
Find the area of the region between the following curves for x in [0, 3]. Give the answer to three decimal places.
y=x
y=4e^x

I understand how to do these types of problems but I always get confused when there is an e involved. If someone could explain how to arrange it before the anti derivative or show how to do a very similar problem that would help me greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's probably the world's simplest function! The derivative of ex is ex and the anti-derivative of ex is ex!

"Before" taking the anti-derivative, the only thing you need to know is that when x= 0, e0= 1> 0 and when x= 4, e4= 54> 4: ex is always greater than x so you integrate ex- x from 0 to 4.

so would the final equation be e^4-.5(4^2) ?

just.karl said:
so would the final equation be e^4-.5(4^2) ?

Just because Halls makes a mistake doesn't mean you should blindly echo it. The region of integration is [0,3]. Find the antiderivative and evaluate it between x=3 and x=0. NOT x=4. And the antiderivative isn't e^x-x^2/2 either. There a factor 4 in front of e^x. What happened to it?

Last edited:
Well my thought is that the 4 would stay where it was. So it would be 4e^x-x^2/2 but that doesn't come out to be the right answer. Could you just walk me through a problem start to finish so I can figure out how to do it? Thank you

Put in x=3 and x=0 and then subtract the two. I don't see how I can walk you through in any more detail than that. What do you get? Hint: e^0=1.

Last edited:
:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

Remember to use two integrals...

Your first integral evaluates 4e^x from 0 to 3, then subtract the integral of x (dx) from 0 to 3 (since it's the area between the curves, and 4e^x is always greater than y=x.) Your answer should then be (4e^3-4e^0) - ((3^2)/2 -(0^2)/2) = 4e^3-4-(9/2) = 4e^3 -(7/2).

right. it helps greatly when you graph both equations first. it would just be the integral of the function that is "highter" on the interval [0,3] minus the function that is "lower" on the same interval.

for instance when you graph y=4e^x and y=x you see that y=4e^x is above y=x so you would set up the integral as:

the integral of (4e^x)-(x)dx evaluated from 0 to 3 (or whatever your integral is)

Well, I greatly struggled with Latex to produce the elegant looking double integral that would solve this problem, but it would be entirely unnecessary as you guys have essentially done the problem. So I won't post it, making THIS post superfluous.

O.. I think why I couldn't get the right answer was I didn't realized that e^0 was 1. I was thinking when it was evaluated at 0 it just = 0. lol Thanks for all of your help! I knew it was just some stupid thing I was doing.

Not sure how latex has to do with this? Is it a program?

Latex is the language that allows users to insert math symbols. Writing out and explaining double integrals (let alone triple integrals) proves quite a prolixity.

What is the definition of "Area Between two curves"?

The area between two curves is the total amount of space enclosed by the two curves on a given interval. It can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the positive difference between the two curves over the interval.

How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you first need to graph the two curves and determine the points of intersection. Then, you can set up an integral with the upper and lower limits being the points of intersection. The integrand should be the difference between the two curves. After evaluating the integral, you will have the area between the two curves.

What are the limitations of finding the area between two curves?

One limitation is that the curves must intersect at the points where the area is being calculated. If the curves do not intersect or overlap, the area cannot be accurately determined. Additionally, the curves must be continuous and differentiable over the given interval for the integral to be valid.

Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the lower curve is above the upper curve on the given interval. This indicates that the lower curve is actually the "upper" curve in terms of the area calculation.

How is the area between two curves used in real-world applications?

The concept of finding the area between two curves is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the displacement of an object, or the profit from a business venture. It is also used in integration to find the volume of a solid of revolution.