Area between Two Sine Curves on [0,pi/2]

In summary, the area between the graphs of f(x) = 8sin(2x) and g(x) = 5sin(x)+3sin(2x) on the interval [0,pi/2] is found by taking the integral of [f(x)-g(x)]dx and evaluating it at the intersection point between the two functions. If the two functions do not intersect, the integral must be split into two intervals to properly calculate the area.
Momentum09

Homework Statement

Compute the area between the graphs of f(x) = 8sin(2x) and g(x) = 5sin(x)+3sin(2x) on the interval [0,pi/2]

Homework Equations

Area = Integral of [f(x)-g(x)]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I first did f(x) - g(x) = 5sin(2x)-5sin(x)...after integrating, I got -5/2cos(2x)+5cos(x). Using pi/2 as the upper bound and 0 as the lower bound, I did the calculations but the answer wasn't right. Could someone please point out where I made a mistake?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself: do the two functions cross at all?

jhicks said:
Ask yourself: do the two functions cross at all?
They do intersect at x=0, but nowhere else in that interval. It doesn't matter if it doesn't cross, since all you need to do is to find area in between the two curves, and not necessarily between two points where they intersect.

According to my TI-89 there's a place where they cross on the interval in question. If you presumed that f(x)-g(x) was always positive on that interval (which it appears the OP did) then at some point the areas would start to subtract from the total, which is wrong because there's no such thing as "negative" area between two curves.

Well actually I misread the graph. They do indeed cross somewhere else at (0,pi/2). So the OP must identify the intersection and split the integral into two intervals to evaluate.

1. What is the area between two curves?

The area between two curves is the region enclosed by two curves on a graph. It is the total amount of space between the two curves, including any areas that overlap or intersect.

2. How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you first need to determine the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, you can use integration to calculate the area between these points. This involves finding the definite integral of the top curve minus the definite integral of the bottom curve.

3. What are the applications of finding the area between two curves?

Finding the area between two curves has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of a solid, or the profit generated by a business.

4. Can there be negative area between two curves?

Yes, there can be negative area between two curves. This occurs when the bottom curve is above the top curve in certain regions, resulting in a negative value for the area between them. It is important to pay attention to the signs when calculating the area between curves.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the area between two curves?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to find the area between two curves. For example, if the two curves are symmetrical, you can calculate the area of one side and multiply it by two. Additionally, if one of the curves is a straight line, you can use the formula for the area of a trapezoid to find the area between the curves.