That's great! It's always satisfying to find and correct a mistake. Good job!

In summary, Slimsta struggled with integrating with different limits of integration and drew the graph incorrectly.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region R enclosed by the line y=2x−3 and the parabola y2=4x+93.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\int_{-9}^{11} 2x-3 dx~-~\int_{-9}^{11} (4x+93)^0^.^5 /6 dx
[/tex]

[x2-3x]11-9 - [(4x+93)1.5 / 6 ]11-9
i get: The area of the region R is A = 215.5338875

whats wrong with it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I have the root of a number, what is the power it is raised to? It is not 1.5 (that is the root of a number, cubed). Also, why dt? Shouldn't you be integrating with respect to x (dx)?

There are at least a couple things wrong with your integral.
  1. You are integrating with respect to t - there 's not a t anywhere in sight.
  2. There should not be an exponent of 1.5 on anything.
  3. You are apparently using vertical strips, which makes your integrals incorrect, since you have the wrong limits of integration for that. You can do this problem with vertical strips, but that's the harder way to do this.

Slimsta, did you graph the region? If you did, you would see that horizontal strips are the easier way to go. If you do it this way, you need only one integral, not two, as you would need if you use vertical strips. And besides that, the integral is easier to work with.

Using horizontal strips, the typical area element is [itex]\Delta A = [x_{line} - x_{parabola}]\Delta y[/itex].

In your equation for the line, you'll need to solve for x as a function of y. In your parabola equation, you'll also need to solve for x as a different function of y. Your horizontal strips run from y = -9 to y = 11. Note that vertical strips run from x = -93/4 to x = 7, but the lower end of the vertical strips changes from the y values on the parabola to the y values on the line at x = -3, making it necessary to have two integrals with different limits of integration (x = -93/4 to x = -3 and x = -3 to x = 7).

That should get you started.

Draw the graph if you haven't already done so!

Mark44 said:
There are at least a couple things wrong with your integral.
  1. You are integrating with respect to t - there 's not a t anywhere in sight.
  2. There should not be an exponent of 1.5 on anything.
  3. You are apparently using vertical strips, which makes your integrals incorrect, since you have the wrong limits of integration for that. You can do this problem with vertical strips, but that's the harder way to do this.

Slimsta, did you graph the region? If you did, you would see that horizontal strips are the easier way to go. If you do it this way, you need only one integral, not two, as you would need if you use vertical strips. And besides that, the integral is easier to work with.

Using horizontal strips, the typical area element is [itex]\Delta A = [x_{line} - x_{parabola}]\Delta y[/itex].

In your equation for the line, you'll need to solve for x as a function of y. In your parabola equation, you'll also need to solve for x as a different function of y. Your horizontal strips run from y = -9 to y = 11. Note that vertical strips run from x = -93/4 to x = 7, but the lower end of the vertical strips changes from the y values on the parabola to the y values on the line at x = -3, making it necessary to have two integrals with different limits of integration (x = -93/4 to x = -3 and x = -3 to x = 7).

That should get you started.

Draw the graph if you haven't already done so!
I made some mistakes in my last one when copying it from my paper work
okay i finally got it! my mistake was that i didnt make XR - XL
i used YR - YL lol.. finally! such a small mistake f-ed everything up

Last edited:

What is the definition of "Area Between Two Curves"?

The area between two curves is the region enclosed by the two curves on a graph. It is the total space that is bounded by the curves and the x-axis.

How is the area between two curves calculated?

The area between two curves can be calculated using integration. The integral of the upper curve minus the integral of the lower curve will give the total area between the two curves.

What are the necessary conditions for finding the area between two curves?

The necessary conditions for finding the area between two curves are that the curves must intersect at least once and the area must be bounded by the x-axis and the two curves.

What if the two curves do not intersect?

If the two curves do not intersect, then there is no enclosed region and therefore no area between them.

Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the lower curve is above the upper curve. In this case, the integral will result in a negative value, indicating that the area is below the x-axis.