1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area Between Two Curves

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    Find the values of c such that the area of the region bounded by the parabolas y = x2 - c2 and y = c2 - x2 is 576.

Attempt:

576 = -cc∫-x2 + c2 - (x2 - c2) dx

576 = 2-cc∫c2 - x2 dx

576 = c2x -(1/3)(x3) l0c *I know by symmetry that the area of 0 → c is half the area of -c → c

576 = c3 - (1/3)c3

576 = (2/3)(c3)

c ~ 9.52

This is the incorrect answer for c. I know there are other methods to solve this problem, but I am trying to answer this question using this strategy. Can anyone please point out the error in my work?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2
    You did the integration incorrectly. First you lost your original factor of 2. Then, you lost another factor of 2 when you forgot to substitute the lower integration limit. Just redo the integration with more care, and you'll get the right answer.

4. Nov 25, 2013 #3
    Haha okay, I actually cancelled the factors out (I must have thought it was in the denominator for some reason). Thank you for finding it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted