1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between two functions

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area of the region enclosed between y=4sin(x) and y=3cos(x) from x=0 to x=0.3π.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know how to do most of this question, the area i am stuck on is finding the intersection point between the two functions, since i know you must have two different areas and then add them to find the total area.

I am looking to find this intersection point without a calculator.

I tried to equate 4sinx=3cosx, changing this to 3/4=sinx/cosx, then tanx=3/4. This gets me nowhere though, can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you are trying to pull this off without a calculator, but if tan(x)=3/4 then x=arctan(3/4). So you've found the intersection. The integral from 0 to arctan(3/4) actually comes out pretty neatly. Doing the integral from arctan(3/4) to 3*pi/10 can also be done if you are ok with things like cos(3*pi/10) and sin(3*pi/10) appearing in the final answer. At that point I'd use a calculator if you want an actual number.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook