1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area bounded by curves

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1
    Hello,

quick question really.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area bound by the x axis, [itex]x = 1[/itex], [itex]x = 4[/itex] and [itex]y = 2/x[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Representing this graphically, the question is equivalent to performing the definite integral of [itex]y = 2/x[/itex] from [itex]1[/itex] to [itex]4[/itex]. Right?

Which would result in the area being equal to [itex]2 ln(4)[/itex]

It seems painfully obvious but this question has made me doubt myself so I wanted to check I haven't missed anything obvious... i.e is there any reason to do the longhand of subtracting the smaller areas from the larger ones.

Thanks,

BOAS

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2
    You are absolutely correct. I see no reason to put anything more than the integral you described. For any positive, integrable function, the area between the curve and the x-axis is equal to the definite integral of the function over the region concerned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted