How do I correctly find the area bounded by x=-3, y=-x^2-2x, and y=x^2-4?

In summary: Are you considering it as negative or positive? In summary, the problem asks to find the area bounded by the x=-3, y=-x^2-2x, and y=x^2-4. The suggested method is to graph the picture. The attempt at a solution involved setting up the problem as the lower bound -3 to 2, with the function (2x^2+2x-4)dx, but the result was a negative number. There were questions about the upper bound and the treatment of the area below y=0.
Danny222444

Homework Statement

FInd the area bounded by x=-3, y=-x^2-2x, and y=x^2-4. (Hint: Graph the picture)

2. The attempt at a solution
My professor did set up the problem in class, but its throwing me off. He set it up as the lower bound -3 to 2, with the function (2x^2+2x-4)dx. I tried solving this but I keep getting a negative number. Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please give some details of your attempt at a solution.

Ok, I end up with Area=2(-2^3/3)-2^2-4(-2)-(2(-3^3/3)+(-3)^2-4(-3) and I end with -5/3. I know the area cannot be negative. I have a feeling the upper bound is wrong or -x^2-2x should be the top curve. But my professor set it up exactly like this, and I just can't seem to solve it.

Danny222444 said:
Ok, I end up with Area=2(-2^3/3)-2^2-4(-2)-(2(-3^3/3)+(-3)^2-4(-3) and I end with -5/3. I know the area cannot be negative. I have a feeling the upper bound is wrong or -x^2-2x should be the top curve. But my professor set it up exactly like this, and I just can't seem to solve it.
First, be careful when you write the equation: I guess you mean (-2)^3, not -2^3, etc.

Second, there is a problem with the signs in that equation for the area. How are you treating the part of the area that is below y = 0?

1. What is the concept of an area bounded by equations?

The area bounded by equations refers to the region enclosed by two or more mathematical equations on a coordinate plane. This region can be calculated using various mathematical methods, such as integration and substitution.

2. How do you find the area bounded by equations?

The most common method for finding the area bounded by equations is through integration. This involves finding the antiderivatives of the equations, setting up a definite integral, and solving for the area using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. Can there be multiple ways to find the area bounded by equations?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the area bounded by equations. These include the use of geometric formulas, the shoelace formula, and various numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the area bounded by equations?

The concept of finding the area bounded by equations has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects, calculate work done by a variable force, and determine the profit or loss in a business.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the area bounded by equations?

One limitation is that the equations must be defined and continuous within the given bounds. Additionally, certain shapes or equations may require more complex methods or even numerical approximations to find the area. It is also important to consider the accuracy of the equations and any factors that may affect the results, such as rounding errors or assumptions made in the calculations.