1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area bounded by polar curves

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    I am having trouble finding the area between 2 polar curves..... I have the procedure down, but the bounds are throwing me off. Any help with understanding how to bound would be great appreciated!

I have attatched one problem that I am having hard time with and the work I have done. I know that I am doing something wrong because I am getting a negative number for an area (which shouldn't be).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2
    At Pi/2 your lower limit changes to 0. (Otherwise
    you're integrating from the bottom half of the circle
    up to the 1 + cos(theta) curve.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  4. Jul 15, 2005 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

That was tricky, but I figured out what the problem is. The two graphs don't intersect where they appear to intersect. They do intersect at [itex]\frac {\pi} {3}[/tex], but they don't really intersect at the origin. There [itex]\theta = \pi [/tex] for [itex] r=1+cos(\theta)[/tex], but [itex]\theta= \frac {\pi} {2}[/tex] for [itex] r=3cos(\theta)[/tex]. What you need to do is two seperate integrals with different limits. Find the whole area for [itex] r=1+cos(\theta)[/tex] and then subtract out the area for [itex] r=3cos(\theta)[/tex].

5. Jul 15, 2005 #4
    Find and double the area from [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] for the [itex]1+cos(\theta)[/itex] graph. Then, find the area from [itex]\pi/3[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] for [itex][(1+cos(\theta))^2 - (3cos(\theta))^2][/itex]; double this as well. The total area is the sum of the two.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  6. Jul 15, 2005 #5
    Thanks a bunch guys =)

What I did was:

1. found the area from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi/3[/itex] for the graph of [itex]1+cos(\theta)[/itex] -- doubled it

2. found the area from [itex]\pi/3[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] for the graph [itex] 3cos(\theta)[/itex] -- doubled it

3. Substracted the value i got in #2 from #1... and that was my answer.

... Does it sound on the right path?

7. Jul 15, 2005 #6
    Yup, that works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?