Determining Target Thickness from Area Density

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the thickness of a target with only the area density known. The person studying experimental physics has tried finding equations, but with no success. It is suggested that knowing the material's density (kg/m^3) can help determine the thickness. The conversation ends with the person finding the equation and realizing that looking at the units can also provide a way to find the thickness.
guddy
Ok I am studying experimental physics and I wondering if you can determine the thickness of a target if you only know the area density. For example if you have a target of 70 micrograms/cm^2 can you determine the thickness from just this information ? I have tried to find equations but cannot find a way to do it, so is it possible ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know what the material is you should be able to look up it's density (kg/m^3)
then you can determine the thickness

Ahh ok I have found the equation thanks for helping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_density

Also I guess I should know that all I have to do is look at the units to determine how to find the thickness.

I must be not thinking straight today !

Cheers

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "determining target thickness from area density"?

Determining target thickness from area density refers to the process of calculating the thickness of a material based on its density and the area it covers. This is often used in scientific experiments and industrial applications to ensure accuracy and consistency in the desired thickness of a material.

2. How is area density measured?

Area density is typically measured by dividing the mass of a material by its surface area. This can be done using various instruments such as scales, rulers, or specialized devices like X-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzers.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining target thickness from area density?

The accuracy of this determination can be affected by several factors, including variations in the density of the material, irregularities in the surface area, and errors in measurement instruments. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can also play a role in accuracy.

4. Why is it important to accurately determine target thickness from area density?

Accurate determination of target thickness from area density is crucial in various fields such as materials science, engineering, and manufacturing. It ensures consistency and precision in the desired thickness of a material, which can affect its properties and performance in practical applications.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining target thickness?

Yes, there are alternative methods for determining target thickness, such as using ultrasonic thickness gauges or optical profilometers. However, these methods may have their limitations and may not be suitable for all types of materials. It is important to consider the specific properties and characteristics of the material when selecting a method for determining target thickness.