Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area for an ellipse

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    Hello everybody,

I'm trying to know, in a keplerian orbit, how to calculate the area of a swaped area; since the Sun is at one of the focus, I wish to calculate given an angle measured from focus to the orbiting body, the area swaped.
    I dont know if I'm explaning this right...Hope so.

Kind regards,

CPtolemy

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2

Mark44

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

swaped = ? What is this word?

Calculating the area of an ellipse is pretty straightforward. There are several formulas if you know the equation of the ellipse. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Area.

4. Aug 23, 2014 #3
    Hi,

I mean swept. Sorry for my english... :(

I don't want to know the entire area of the ellipse - just the swept area by the body.

Regards,

CPtolemy

5. Aug 23, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think he meant the area "swept out" by the planets motion- the area inside the elliptic orbit.

cptolemy, the area of an ellipse with major and minor axes of lengths a and b is [itex]\pi ab[/itex].

6. Aug 24, 2014 #5
    In Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller and White, ISBN 0-486-60061-0, I can see the following equation:

dt = 2/h dA

h is the specific angular momentum, given by h = r v sin(γ), where γ is the flight path angle, i.e. the angle between the r and v vectors. This is consistent with Kepler's second law as h is a constant for a given orbit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted