Finding the Area Between Two Curves Using Definite Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up and evaluating a definite integral to find the area of a region bounded by a function and its tangent line at a given point. The process involves finding the intersection points of the two curves and using them as the limits of integration. The final integrand is x^3 - 3x + 2, and the limits are -2 and 1.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Set up and evaluate the definite integral that gives the area of the region bounded by the graph of the function and the tangent line to the graph at the given point

y = f(x) = (x)^3, at (1,1)

Homework Equations

Area in between two curves

The Attempt at a Solution

The line tangent to (x)^3 at (1,1) is y = 3x - 2.

So the next thing I want to find are my limits of integration, I tried setting x^3 = 3x - 2 and solving for x which is where I encounter my first problem, when using synthetic division to find the zero's of x^3 - 3x + 2 I get x = -1 and x = 2 which is the opposite of what my little ti-83 shows me. I thought the zeros were of the form ( x - h ) when using synthetic division, no?

When I actually look at the answer it shows the limits of integration as -2 and 1. I can set up the integrand using the fact that y = x^3 is greater than or equal to y = 3x - 2 over [-2,1]; my integrand should be x^3 - 3x + 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
You started off well, but you had problems when you tried to find in intersection points [itex]x^{3}=3x-2[/itex], trying x=1 shows that 1=3-2=1, so the point x=1 is a solution which is geometrically obvious as that is where the tangent line touches the curve. So now I would write:
[tex]
x^{3}-3x+2=(x-1)(x^{2}+x-2)=(x-1)(x+2)(x-1)
[/tex]
So it appears that the two limits are -2 and 1.
The area between the two curves is:
[tex]
\int_{-2}^{1}x^{3}dx-\int_{-2}^{1}3x-2dx
[/tex]

got it, thanks.

What is the concept of "area in between two curves"?

The concept of "area in between two curves" refers to the bounded region between two curves on a coordinate plane. This area can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the difference between the two curves.

How is the area in between two curves calculated?

The area in between two curves is calculated by finding the definite integral of the difference between the two curves. This involves finding the antiderivative of the difference function and evaluating it at the limits of integration.

What is the significance of finding the area in between two curves?

Finding the area in between two curves can be useful in many applications, such as determining the work done by a variable force, finding the volume of a solid with a curved base, or calculating the average value of a function over a given interval.

What are the different methods for finding the area in between two curves?

There are several methods for finding the area in between two curves, including using basic geometry, the midpoint rule, the trapezoidal rule, or Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the area using rectangles, trapezoids, or parabolic curves, and can be more accurate than using the definite integral in some cases.

Can the area in between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area in between two curves can be negative if the upper curve is below the lower curve in some regions. In this case, the definite integral of the difference function will result in a negative value, indicating that the bounded region has a negative area.