1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area in between two curves

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    Find the area of the region bounded by the following curves:

y=x2-5x and y=3-x2

Answer:

So, using simultaneous equations I found the points of intersection (x = -0.5 and x = 3). The book agrees with me on that.

I then performed the following:

3-x2-(x2-5x)

= -2x2+5x+3

I then integrated that:

((-2/3)*x3)+((5/2)*x2)+3x

I then subtracted the result when I substitute -0.5 from the result I get when I substitute 3. The book claims the answer is 2.655 but, no matter how hard I try I keep getting (271/24)

Can anyone help me here please?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The work you showed so far is correct. Unfortunately I get 343/24 = 14.29 which doesn't agree with either of yours. Your book's answer is obviously wrong; clearly too small for the area enclosed.

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    Hi! Thanks a lot for your response. I must be making some calculation error! When I try using the graphic calculator to find the integral it gives me 14.29, so, yeah, you should be right. I will try again.

Thanks once again,
    Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook