1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area in Polar Coordinates

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    Hi, everyone. I had an example from my book, but I wasn't sure how they got [itex]\dfrac{1}{2}cos\theta[/itex] on step 7? It seems like once they combined the constants, they ended up with just [itex]cos2\theta[/itex]. Although, they have a [itex]\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] in front. Can someone help me understand where that constant came from? Thank you.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area of the region enclosed by the polar curve [itex]r=3-3cos\theta[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Area in Polar Coordinates
    [itex]dA=\dfrac{1}{2}r^2d\theta[/itex]

Double Angle Identity:
    [itex]cos2\theta=2cos^2\theta-1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1. [itex]dA=\dfrac{1}{2}(3-3cos\theta)^2d\theta[/itex]

factor

2. [itex]dA=\dfrac{1}{2}(9-18cos\theta+9cos^2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

write the integral and factor [itex]\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] through

3. [itex]\displaystyle A=\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(9-18cos^2\theta+9cos^2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

factor out 9

4. [itex]\displaystyle A=9\cdot\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(1-2cos\theta+cos^2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

rewrite double-angle identity

5. [itex]cos^2\theta=\dfrac{cos^2\theta+1}{2}[/itex]

replace [itex]cos^2\theta[/itex] with the double-angle identity

6. [itex]\displaystyle A=\dfrac{9}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left(1-2cos\theta+\dfrac{cos^2\theta+1}{2} \right)d\theta[/itex]

combine the constants to get [itex]\dfrac{3}{2}[/itex]

7. [itex]\displaystyle A=\dfrac{9}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left(\dfrac{3}{2}-2cos\theta+\dfrac{1}{2}cos2\theta \right)d\theta[/itex]

integrate

8. [itex]\dfrac{9}{2}\left[\dfrac{3}{2}\theta-2sin\theta+\dfrac{1}{4}sin\theta \right]_{0}^{2\pi}[/itex]

answer

9. [itex]\dfrac{27\pi}{2}[/itex]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check again the double angle identity you used in step 5.

4. Jul 29, 2017 #3
    I meant to write [itex]\dfrac{cos2\theta+1}{2}[/itex] for step 5 and 6. Although I do have it written for step 7.

5. Jul 29, 2017 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So are the steps above the one given in your book or your own? I don't see any flaw in it except for the typo in writing the double angle identity.

6. Jul 29, 2017 #5
    Not my own. From the book. I just don't get where the[itex]\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] comes from in step7?

7. Jul 29, 2017 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

$$
    \cos^2\theta=\dfrac{\cos 2\theta+1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}\cos 2\theta + \frac{1}{2}$$

8. Jul 29, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just for the record: don't write ##cos 2 \theta## in LaTeX; it looks ugly and is hard to read. Write ##\cos 2 \theta## instead. You do that by typing "\cos" instead of "cos", and that goes for most other elementary functions as well.

9. Jul 29, 2017 #7
    Alright, noted.

Oh, you split up the [itex]\dfrac{\cos2\theta+1}{2}[/itex] into two denominators like [itex]\dfrac{\cos2\theta}{2}+\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] That makes sense, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted