1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area inside two polar curves

1. May 13, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I need to find the area thats inside both of the following curves:

[tex] r = \sin\theta [/tex]

[tex] r = \cos\theta [/tex]

I know that I should have to subtract the area of the one curve from the other and I know the area formula for polar coordinates, but I just can't see how to set this one up any help or hints would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2
    It's just two circles. the sin one is centered on the y axis and the cos one is centered on the x axis. Sketch them and you will see what you have to do. Because of symmetry, you only need to integrate sin(t) from t=0 to t=pi/4 and multiply that integral by 2. Integrating cos(t) from t=pi/4 to t=pi/2 and then multiplying that integral by 2 will give you the same exact result.

4. May 13, 2006 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't the area of sin t from 0 to pi/4 cover everything from the curve to the y axis. If you multiply that by 2 then you will end up with more area than whats in the loop won't you? I'm sorry I must be really confused

5. May 13, 2006 #4
    No, thats 0 to pi/2. pi/4 is 1/8th of a circle

6. May 13, 2006 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

these circles complete one rotation every pi degrees remember. So Pi/4 would be at the top of the circle with the cos and at the side of the sine circle.

7. May 13, 2006 #6
    Dude, why are you arguing with me? I said that you integrate sin(t) from 0 to pi/4. If you don't think my answer is right, then don't use it.

8. May 14, 2006 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Im sorry, I think my explaination of this problem was bad I'm going to try to explain it again in another thread so I you still feel like halping me please go there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?