Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Area inside two polar curves

1. May 13, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I need to find the area thats inside both of the following curves:

[tex] r = \sin\theta [/tex]

[tex] r = \cos\theta [/tex]

I know that I should have to subtract the area of the one curve from the other and I know the area formula for polar coordinates, but I just can't see how to set this one up any help or hints would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2
    It's just two circles. the sin one is centered on the y axis and the cos one is centered on the x axis. Sketch them and you will see what you have to do. Because of symmetry, you only need to integrate sin(t) from t=0 to t=pi/4 and multiply that integral by 2. Integrating cos(t) from t=pi/4 to t=pi/2 and then multiplying that integral by 2 will give you the same exact result.

4. May 13, 2006 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't the area of sin t from 0 to pi/4 cover everything from the curve to the y axis. If you multiply that by 2 then you will end up with more area than whats in the loop won't you? I'm sorry I must be really confused

5. May 13, 2006 #4
    No, thats 0 to pi/2. pi/4 is 1/8th of a circle

6. May 13, 2006 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

these circles complete one rotation every pi degrees remember. So Pi/4 would be at the top of the circle with the cos and at the side of the sine circle.

7. May 13, 2006 #6
    Dude, why are you arguing with me? I said that you integrate sin(t) from 0 to pi/4. If you don't think my answer is right, then don't use it.

8. May 14, 2006 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Im sorry, I think my explaination of this problem was bad I'm going to try to explain it again in another thread so I you still feel like halping me please go there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook