1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area is symmetric

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Help!! I was wondering if anyone can help me integrate:

∫ x^2tan x + y^3 +4 dA, where D is the region represented by D = {(x,y)|x2+y2≤2}

2. Relevant equations
    I think that the area is symmetric, and so basically you only need to evalute from 0≤ x ≤ √(2-y^2) and 0≤ y ≤ √2. Or you can do x first and evaluate it from 0 ≤ y ≤ √ (1-x^2) and 0≤ x ≤ √2. But I'm not sure how to evaluate x^2 tan x? I don't think doing dy first will help either since I get the following: x^2*√ (1-x^2)*tan x? Thanks!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been playing around with this, and I think I've made some progress.

Integrate the first term in the integrand with respect to [itex]x[/itex] first. Do it by parts with [itex]u=x \tan(x)[/itex] and [itex]dv=x dx[/itex]. You should be able to express the integral in terms of [itex]\int x^3\sec^2(x)dx[/itex]. Integrate that by parts with [itex]u=x^3[/itex] and [itex]dv=sec^2(x)dx[/itex].

Give that a try and see how it goes. I haven't finished it yet, but it looks like it will work.
  4. Jan 31, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is, of course, the same as
    [tex]\int x^2 tan x dA+ \int y^3 dA+ \int 4 dA[/tex]
    Yes, the region [itex]D= {(x,y)| x^2+ y^2\le 2}[/itex] is a circle and so is symmetric. But why do you then say you need only integrate in the first quadrant? x2tan x and y3 are both ODD functions. Their integrals on opposite sides of the axes will cancel, not add. It looks to me like this is just [itex]\int 4 dA[/itex] or just 4 times the area of the circle.
  5. Jan 31, 2007 #4
    Oh I see!! Thanks!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?