1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area / Length

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    Is it meaningless to divide an area by a length?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That depends! What are you trying to do?

4. May 12, 2006 #3
    What does it depend on?

Im not trying to do anything but understand and remove ambiguity in my understanding.

5. May 12, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on what you are trying to do. E.g., if you know the area of a rectangle and the length of one side then dividing that area by the length of the known side has meaning - it's the width of the rectangle.

6. May 12, 2006 #5
    Sometimes i wonder why God does not number his Jigsaw puzzles. When your missing the starting peices, the rest just keeps falling apart.

Thx for the reply.

7. May 12, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Area of a chess board: 64 square inches.
    Length of the chess board: 8 inches.
    What is its width?

8. May 12, 2006 #7
    It would also be meaningful if you were trying to maximize the ratio of the area contained within a curve to the lenght of the curve.

SBRH

9. May 12, 2006 #8
    i think spongebob hit it pretty close to answering the original question. There is a comparitive way to use a length to area, or an area to volume ratio. For example, for a given volume, what shape has the smallest surface area???? dimensionally, area divided by volume would give a result that is meaningless to understanding the answer to this question. im sure there is a more rigorous answer to this, but i havent studied it in any detail, so i have to rely on intuitive feel...

10. May 16, 2006 #9
    :confused: area is a length squared so to divide an area by a length would only provide you with another length

11. May 16, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why "only"? That's a worthwhile result!:rofl:

12. May 16, 2006 #11

dav2008

Gold Member

What does that even mean?

13. May 16, 2006 #12
    If this is one of those "but what does it all MEAN??" questions, perhaps it should be on the philosophy board. Richard Feynman refrained from talking metaphysics, so i reckon trackstar gave a decent answer if your question was physical.

14. May 16, 2006 #13
    a very good idea on his part :smile:

"Why "only"? That's a worthwhile result!" cuz i think he might be talking about more than just numbers like it says above

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook