Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area / Length

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    Is it meaningless to divide an area by a length?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That depends! What are you trying to do?
  4. May 12, 2006 #3
    What does it depend on?

Im not trying to do anything but understand and remove ambiguity in my understanding.
  5. May 12, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on what you are trying to do. E.g., if you know the area of a rectangle and the length of one side then dividing that area by the length of the known side has meaning - it's the width of the rectangle.
  6. May 12, 2006 #5
    Sometimes i wonder why God does not number his Jigsaw puzzles. When your missing the starting peices, the rest just keeps falling apart.

Thx for the reply.
  7. May 12, 2006 #6

Gold Member

Area of a chess board: 64 square inches.
    Length of the chess board: 8 inches.
    What is its width?
  8. May 12, 2006 #7
    It would also be meaningful if you were trying to maximize the ratio of the area contained within a curve to the lenght of the curve.

9. May 12, 2006 #8
    i think spongebob hit it pretty close to answering the original question. There is a comparitive way to use a length to area, or an area to volume ratio. For example, for a given volume, what shape has the smallest surface area???? dimensionally, area divided by volume would give a result that is meaningless to understanding the answer to this question. im sure there is a more rigorous answer to this, but i havent studied it in any detail, so i have to rely on intuitive feel...
  10. May 16, 2006 #9
    :confused: area is a length squared so to divide an area by a length would only provide you with another length
  11. May 16, 2006 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why "only"? That's a worthwhile result!:rofl:
  12. May 16, 2006 #11

Gold Member

What does that even mean?
  13. May 16, 2006 #12
    If this is one of those "but what does it all MEAN??" questions, perhaps it should be on the philosophy board. Richard Feynman refrained from talking metaphysics, so i reckon trackstar gave a decent answer if your question was physical.
  14. May 16, 2006 #13
    a very good idea on his part :smile:

"Why "only"? That's a worthwhile result!" cuz i think he might be talking about more than just numbers like it says above
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?