1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area-Minimizing Surfaces

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "If an area-minimizing surface can be given by the graph of a function, that function satisfies the minimal surface equation:
    [tex](1+{f_y}^2)f_{xx}-2f_xf_yf_{xy}+(1+{f_x}^2)f_{yy} = 0[/tex]

1.)Determine if the graphs of the following functions may be area minimizing:
    a.) [tex]z = 2x+4y+10[/tex]
    b.) [tex]y\tan(z)=x[/tex]
    c.) [tex]\cos(y)e^z=\cos(x)[/tex]
    d.) [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}=\cosh(z)[/tex]

2.)While it is necessary that the graph of a function satisfy the Minimal Surface Equation to be area-minimizing, it may not be sufficient. Enneper's surface satisfies the equation (you do not need to show this), but is not necessarily minimal. Find a surface with the same boundary that has less surface area."

2. Relevant equations
    Minimal Surface Equation
    [tex](1+{f_y}^2)f_{xx}-2f_xf_yf_{xy}+(1+{f_x}^2)f_{yy} = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already went through the calculus and found that the first 3 work with the equation, and i started working on the 4th one... and it's extremely messy. I was wondering if anybody knows a way to convert to cylindrical coordinates and use a corresponding version of the minimal surface equation? Converting the function would be easy(i think), i'm just not so sure about if it would still work.

Also, I just don't understand the second half of the problem. I'm not sure what a surface with the same boundary is... I've seen other minimal surfaces, such as the helicoid, or the catenoid: do those work?. I also looked up Enneper's surface and... it's crazy. I read into the article and it describes it with high-degree equations, multi-variable parametrization, and different types of curvature that i've never even heard of... please help.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?