Area-Minimizing Surfaces

• Thread starter xaer04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary: Remember, there is always more to discover and learn. In summary, to determine if a surface is area-minimizing, we can use the minimal surface equation and plug in the function to see if it satisfies the equation. To find a surface with the same boundary but less surface area than Enneper's surface, we can manipulate the equations for Enneper's surface, but it may require advanced techniques. Keep exploring and learning!
xaer04

Homework Statement

"If an area-minimizing surface can be given by the graph of a function, that function satisfies the minimal surface equation:
[tex](1+{f_y}^2)f_{xx}-2f_xf_yf_{xy}+(1+{f_x}^2)f_{yy} = 0[/tex]

1.)Determine if the graphs of the following functions may be area minimizing:
a.) [tex]z = 2x+4y+10[/tex]
b.) [tex]y\tan(z)=x[/tex]
c.) [tex]\cos(y)e^z=\cos(x)[/tex]
d.) [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}=\cosh(z)[/tex]

2.)While it is necessary that the graph of a function satisfy the Minimal Surface Equation to be area-minimizing, it may not be sufficient. Enneper's surface satisfies the equation (you do not need to show this), but is not necessarily minimal. Find a surface with the same boundary that has less surface area."

Homework Equations

Minimal Surface Equation
[tex](1+{f_y}^2)f_{xx}-2f_xf_yf_{xy}+(1+{f_x}^2)f_{yy} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already went through the calculus and found that the first 3 work with the equation, and i started working on the 4th one... and it's extremely messy. I was wondering if anybody knows a way to convert to cylindrical coordinates and use a corresponding version of the minimal surface equation? Converting the function would be easy(i think), I'm just not so sure about if it would still work.

Also, I just don't understand the second half of the problem. I'm not sure what a surface with the same boundary is... I've seen other minimal surfaces, such as the helicoid, or the catenoid: do those work?. I also looked up Enneper's surface and... it's crazy. I read into the article and it describes it with high-degree equations, multi-variable parametrization, and different types of curvature that I've never even heard of... please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some insights and suggestions for your questions.

1. To determine if the graphs of the given functions may be area-minimizing, we need to plug in the functions into the minimal surface equation and see if it satisfies the equation. I see that you have already done this for the first three functions, and they all satisfy the equation. For the fourth function, it is indeed a messy calculation, but it is possible to convert it into cylindrical coordinates and use the corresponding version of the minimal surface equation. I suggest using the chain rule to convert the derivatives from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates.

2. The second part of the problem is asking for a surface with the same boundary as Enneper's surface but with less surface area. This means that the surface must have the same edges or boundaries as Enneper's surface, but it can have a different shape and therefore a different surface area. The helicoid and the catenoid are both examples of minimal surfaces, but they do not have the same boundary as Enneper's surface. You can try to find a surface with the same boundary as Enneper's surface by manipulating the equations for Enneper's surface, but it may require some advanced mathematical techniques.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in exploring minimal surfaces!

1. What are Area-Minimizing Surfaces?

Area-Minimizing Surfaces are surfaces that have the smallest possible surface area for a given volume. They are often found in nature, such as soap bubbles, because they minimize the energy required to maintain their shape.

2. How are Area-Minimizing Surfaces studied?

Area-Minimizing Surfaces are studied using a branch of mathematics called geometric measure theory. This involves studying the properties of surfaces and their curvature in order to understand how they minimize their surface area.

3. What are some real-world applications of Area-Minimizing Surfaces?

Area-Minimizing Surfaces have many practical applications, such as in architecture and engineering. They can help in the design of efficient structures, such as bridges and domes, as well as in the manufacturing of materials with minimal surface area, such as packaging materials.

4. Can Area-Minimizing Surfaces be found in other dimensions?

Yes, Area-Minimizing Surfaces can be found in other dimensions besides 3D. In fact, the concept of area-minimization can be extended to any number of dimensions, such as 2D surfaces in 4D space or 1D curves in 3D space.

5. Are there any open questions or challenges in the study of Area-Minimizing Surfaces?

Yes, there are still many open questions and challenges in the study of Area-Minimizing Surfaces. One of the main challenges is to find a general formula or method for finding the exact shape of an area-minimizing surface for a given volume. Additionally, there is ongoing research on how these surfaces behave under different conditions and how they can be applied in various fields.