Understanding Area Moment of Inertia for Shaft Design

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the equivalent spring constant K for a shaft using the formula K=GJ/l. The person has questions about the meaning of J in this formula and the difficulty in finding a formula for J of a shaft online. It is clarified that J in this case refers to the Area Polar moment of inertia and a formula for J can be found as (pi)d^4/32 for a solid circular shaft. There is also a mention of confusion regarding the use of J as the mass moment of inertia in vibrations.
Saladsamurai
Okay, maybe I am retarded, but i am having trouble with this.

i need to find the equivalent spring constant K of a shaft with radius=r, length=l, and modulus of rigidity=G

I know that K=GJ/l

Question 1) Is J in this case the AREA moment of inertia? I think it is.

Question 2) Why can't I find online a formula for the J of a shaft?

I know the cross section is simply a circle and it is rotating about
a point passing through its center and perpendicular to the plane of the circle

I do not have a mechanics book with me (at work). Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
Okay, maybe I am retarded, but i am having trouble with this.

i need to find the equivalent spring constant K of a shaft with radius=r, length=l, and modulus of rigidity=G

I know that K=GJ/l

Question 1) Is J in this case the AREA moment of inertia? I think it is.
J is the Area Polar moment of inertia (axis thru center along the longitudinal axis, perpendicular to circle cross section); J = I_x +I_y
Question 2) Why can't I find online a formula for the J of a shaft?
You didn't Google hard enough. J = (pi)d^4/32 for a solid circular shaft.

Thanks PJ. My book is silly. For vibrations it uses J as the mass moment of inertia whereas the usual convention is I and J is area so I was all inds of confused.

1. What is the definition of Area Moment of Inertia?

Area Moment of Inertia, also known as second moment of area, is a measurement of how an object's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the square of the distance from the axis of rotation to each small element of the object's area and then integrating over the entire object.

2. What is the significance of Area Moment of Inertia in structural engineering?

Area Moment of Inertia is an important factor in determining the stiffness and strength of a structure. It helps engineers to understand how a structure will behave under different loads and how much it can resist bending or buckling.

3. How is the Area Moment of Inertia different from Mass Moment of Inertia?

Mass Moment of Inertia and Area Moment of Inertia are both measurements of an object's resistance to rotation, but they are calculated differently. Mass Moment of Inertia takes into account the object's mass distribution in three dimensions, while Area Moment of Inertia only considers the mass distribution in a single plane.

4. How do you calculate the Area Moment of Inertia of a simple shape?

The formula for calculating the Area Moment of Inertia varies depending on the shape of the object. For simple shapes like rectangles, circles, and triangles, there are specific formulas that can be used. These can be found in engineering handbooks or by performing a quick internet search.

5. Why is the Area Moment of Inertia important in the design of beams?

In beam design, the Area Moment of Inertia is used to determine the maximum bending stress that a beam can withstand. A larger Area Moment of Inertia means that the beam is more resistant to bending, which is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the beam.