Buckling Load Equation for Eccentrically Loaded Rectangular Solid Column

In summary, the first equation represents loading on a short eccentrically loaded column, while the second equation represents the same formula when the maximum stress reaches yield on an eccentrically loaded rectangular solid column. This is found by replacing certain variables with the dimensions and properties of the column.
mhajinaw

Homework Statement

I'm reading a paper and I'm trying to understand how does the author arrived from equation (1) to the following buckling load equation (2). I know that the author substitutes equation (1) with the dimensions of the geometry but I still could not understand how he comes to last term 6e/t in equation (2).
Geom.PNG

Homework Equations

P=Aσmax / [1+ec/r2] (1)

P=Btσy / [1+6e/t] (2)

where;
A=cross-sectional area of column
e=eccentricity
B,t=geometry of specimen (refer to attached figure)
c= distance from neutral axis to the outer fiber where σmax occurs
r, radius of gyration, r2=I/A where I is the moment of inertia computed about the bending axis

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to play around by substituting r2 with I/A. But I don't know how can I expand the results afterwards. Maybe there are some simplifications that I missed.

Physics news on Phys.org
mhajinaw said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading a paper and I'm trying to understand how does the author arrived from equation (1) to the following buckling load equation (2). I know that the author substitutes equation (1) with the dimensions of the geometry but I still could not understand how he comes to last term 6e/t in equation (2).
View attachment 111853

Homework Equations

P=Aσmax / [1+ec/r2] (1)

P=Btσy / [1+6e/t] (2)

where;
A=cross-sectional area of column
e=eccentricity
B,t=geometry of specimen (refer to attached figure)
c= distance from neutral axis to the outer fiber where σmax occurs
r, radius of gyration, r2=I/A where I is the moment of inertia computed about the bending axis

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to play around by substituting r2 with I/A. But I don't know how can I expand the results afterwards. Maybe there are some simplifications that I missed.
The first equation represents loading on a relatively short eccentric/ compression loaded column; the second appears to be that same formula when the max stress reaches yield on a eccentrically loaded rectangular solid column of width B and depth t (found by replacing c with t/2, the distance from section centroid to outer fiber, and by replacing r^2 with I/A, where I is Bt^3/12, and A is Bt). That's the only sense I can make of the 2nd equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Area Moment of Inertia"?

The Area Moment of Inertia, also known as the second moment of area, is a measure of an object's resistance to bending or torsion. It is calculated by integrating the squared distance of each point in a cross-sectional area from an axis of rotation.

2. How is the Area Moment of Inertia different from the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a general term used to describe an object's resistance to rotational motion. The Area Moment of Inertia specifically refers to an object's resistance to bending or torsion, while the Polar Moment of Inertia refers to its resistance to twisting.

3. What units are used for the Area Moment of Inertia?

The units for the Area Moment of Inertia depend on the units used for the cross-sectional area and the distance from the axis of rotation. Common units include mm^4, cm^4, and m^4.

4. How is the Area Moment of Inertia used in engineering and physics?

The Area Moment of Inertia is an important quantity in structural analysis and design. It is used to calculate the strength and stability of structural components such as beams, columns, and shafts. It is also used in physics to analyze the behavior of objects under bending or torsional forces.

5. How is the concept of parallel axis theorem related to the Area Moment of Inertia?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of an object about an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about its center of mass plus the product of the object's mass and the square of the distance between the two axes. This concept is often used in calculating the Area Moment of Inertia for complex shapes or objects with uneven distribution of mass.