1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a Circular Coil

1. Jul 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please see attached image file

I understand everything in this problem except I dont know how they got (1/4) in the area of a coil.

Can someone explain this? I have googled it and im not getting a clear answer.

I thought the area of a coil could be (pi(r)^2)L where l is the length. But wouldnt this be a cyclinder? How would I find it when the inner core of the cyclinder is missing?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The coil is circular. The area of a circle is ##\pi r^2## and r is half of the diameter. The expression you gave is not an area, it has dimensions length^3.

4. Jul 27, 2014 #3
    You are right. I guess I gace volume. What I really don't understand is why there is a (1/4). Could you please explain why? Thank you.

5. Jul 27, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

r = d/2 implies r^2 = d^2/4 ...

6. Jul 27, 2014 #5
    Oh ok thank you! What I did was divide the diameter in half right away. Thats why I was confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted