1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a dome

1. Dec 25, 2004 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Trying to figure out the answer to another thread.

What is formula for the surface area of a dome?

Googling got me [tex]2\pi r h[/tex] (where [tex]h[/tex] is the height of the dome above its slice through the sphere). Is that right?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out how the area changes as a function of the slice through the sphere. i.e.:

When the slice goes through the centre of the sphere, the area is X (in fact, exactly half of the sphere's area).

OK. Now, if I move the slice out to [tex]1/2 r[/tex], what does that do to the area of the dome? Does the area halve? or quarter?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I advise u draw a picture.Explain the geometry of the drawing.Which is the sphere,which is the paraboloid,is it a revolution paraboloid,are they coaxial,what is "h",what is "r",or simply give the link to the webpage where u got that result.

If you're asking for help,at least do it in a proper way.

Daniel.

4. Dec 25, 2004 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Guess I didn't get the memo on "the proper way".

(Don't know why this gpt posted twice...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook