Solving for Area of a Given Curve: sqrt(|x|) + sqrt(|y|) = 1

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the area of a curve given by sqrt(|x|) + sqrt(|y|) = 1 and drawing the area. Guidance was given to try a fitting value of k in the parametric equations x = r*cos(t)^k and y = r*sin(t)^k. The attempt at a solution involved using x = r*cos(t)^4 and y = r*sin(t)^4 and calculating the integral, but there was confusion about the resulting plot. The expert suggested using the actual x,y values and not their square roots for the parametric plot.
soofjan

Homework Statement

Find the area, whose edge is given by the following curve:
sqrt(|x|) + sqrt(|y|) = 1
Also, draw the area.
Guidance: try x = r*cos(t)^k, y = r*sin(t)^k for a fitting k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried:
x = r*cos(t)^4, y = r*sin(t)^4
From the curve equation, I get that: sqrt(r)=1. So:
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] r [tex]\leq[/tex] 1
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 2*pi
|J| = 4r*|sin(t)^3*cos(t)^3|.
Since I have an absolute value as the integrand, I calculate the integral of t from 0 to pi/2, and multiply the result by 4. The final answer is 2/3.

I believe that my transformation is wrong, because when I try to draw it via Wolfram, it gives me a circle, but it is supposed to look like an astroid.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
soofjan said:

Homework Statement

Find the area, whose edge is given by the following curve:
sqrt(|x|) + sqrt(|y|) = 1
Also, draw the area.
Guidance: try x = r*cos(t)^k, y = r*sin(t)^k for a fitting k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried:
x = r*cos(t)^4, y = r*sin(t)^4
From the curve equation, I get that: sqrt(r)=1. So:
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] r [tex]\leq[/tex] 1
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 2*pi
|J| = 4r*|sin(t)^3*cos(t)^3|.
Since I have an absolute value as the integrand, I calculate the integral of t from 0 to pi/2, and multiply the result by 4. The final answer is 2/3.

I believe that my transformation is wrong, because when I try to draw it via Wolfram, it gives me a circle, but it is supposed to look like an astroid.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

That all looks ok to me. Except that my plot doesn't look like a circle. What are you plotting?

I tried to polar plot the following on Wolfram:
sqrt(|r*cos(t)^4|) + sqrt(|r*sin(t)^4|) = 1
r=0..1, t=0..2*pi

soofjan said:
I tried to polar plot the following on Wolfram:
sqrt(|r*cos(t)^4|) + sqrt(|r*sin(t)^4|) = 1
r=0..1, t=0..2*pi

I'm not sure what that would mean to Wolfram. What you want to plot is the set of all (x,y) SUCH THAT sqrt(|x|)+sqrt(|y|)=1. I.e. parametric plot x(t)=cos(t)^4, y(t)=sin(t)^4, for t in [0,pi/2], the actual x,y values, not their square roots.

Last edited:
I see your point. Thanks again.

What is the "area under a curve"?

The area under a curve refers to the region bounded by the curve, the x-axis, and two vertical lines. It represents the total value of the function over a given interval.

How is the area of a curve calculated?

The area of a curve is calculated using definite integrals in calculus. The curve is divided into small sections, and the area of each section is calculated. The sum of these areas gives the total area under the curve.

What is the significance of finding the area under a curve?

Finding the area under a curve has many practical applications in science and engineering. It can be used to determine the total distance traveled by an object, the total volume of a liquid, or the total amount of energy consumed over a given period.

Can the area under a curve be negative?

Yes, the area under a curve can be negative if the curve lies below the x-axis. In this case, the area represents a negative value, indicating a decrease in the function's value over the given interval.

How is the area under a curve affected by the shape of the curve?

The shape of the curve directly affects the area underneath it. A steeper curve will have a larger area, while a flatter curve will have a smaller area. Additionally, the area can also be affected by the presence of multiple curves within the same interval.