Area of a Hexagon: Find the Area with Radius r

In summary: I then did the same thing for the other three equilateral triangles and got (9/6)r^2(sqrt(9)). This gives the answer of (36/27)r^2.
Rossinole

Homework Statement

A circle of radius r is impressed in a hexagon. Find the area of the hexagon.

Homework Equations

Area of a triangle = (1/2)bh

The Attempt at a Solution

The hexagon can be split up into six triangles, and with the formula for the area of a triangle, becomes (6)(1/2*bh).

Does the circle in the problem even matter? It makes it seem like there is more to the problem than there really is. Is there something I overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean with : a circle of radius r is impressed in a hexagon? I think you have to use the radius of the circle on your answer. But if you could explain this part a lill bit more, what do you mean by that.

Do you mean "inscribed" instead of "impressed"? This question (post #1) is not really a Calculus problem; did you intend it to be for Calculus? Without using Calculus, this is a very simple exercise needing only intuitive knowledge of pattern in a shape and the pythagorean theorem.

It's just the sum of the areas of six identical triangles, each with two legs of length r and a central angle of 360 / 6 = 60 degrees. It's basic plane geometry.

- Warren

well, i think what they are asking you to do is express the area of the hexagon in terms of the radius of the circle. Your formula is right, just try to express the height of the triangles in terms of the radius, and use the letter r. Also notice that all three sides of the triangles are of size r.

It's meant to be a Calculus problem, or at least it's on my Calculus homework.

Alright, I went back and re-did this problem and got (3/2)r^2(sqrt(3)). I solved for the area of one equilateral triangle using r as one of the sides, multiplied it by six, and then reduced it to what is above.

What is the formula for finding the area of a hexagon with radius r?

The formula for finding the area of a hexagon with radius r is A = 3√3/2 * r^2, where A is the area and r is the radius.

Can the formula for finding the area of a hexagon with radius r be simplified?

Yes, the formula can be simplified to A = (3√3 * r^2)/2.

How do I determine the radius of a hexagon if the area is given?

To determine the radius of a hexagon if the area is given, you can rearrange the formula to r = √(2A/(3√3)). Plug in the given area to solve for the radius.

What are the units for the area of a hexagon with radius r?

The units for the area of a hexagon with radius r will be the square of the units for the radius. For example, if the radius is measured in meters, the area will be measured in square meters.

Why is the formula for finding the area of a hexagon with radius r different from a regular hexagon?

The formula for finding the area of a regular hexagon is A = 3√3/2 * s^2, where s is the length of the side. This is because a hexagon with a radius has curved sides, while a regular hexagon has straight sides. Therefore, the formula must take into account the difference in shape.