1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a region

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.

2y=3(x^1/2)
    y=4
    2y+4x=7

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I decided to solve for y, since that would make it easier to graph. This got me y=(3(x^1/2)/2) and y=7/2-2x. I then graphed these, finding that the span on the x-axis would be from 0 to 2.

I integrated the problem, getting 3-2*(2^1/2). This seems wrong. What happened? I'm probably overlooking something small...

(By the way, Latex isn't working, so the x^1/2 things means that that number or variable is square rooted.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2
    Hang on, what function did you integrate exactly?

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    Well, when I graphed it, I noticed that 7/2-2x was above 3(x^1/2)/2. So I integrated (7/2-2x) - (3(x^1/2)/2) with an upper limit of 2 and a lower limit of 0, and that got me 3-2*(2^1/2).

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} (\frac{7}{2} - 2x) - (\frac{3*\sqrt{x}}{2}) dx[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  5. Mar 22, 2007 #4
    Okay, I've sort of figured it out. I have to solve for x in the equation, even though I solved for y in the graph. So here it is, revised...

[tex]\int_{1.5}^{3} \frac{4*y^2}{9} - \frac{-(2*y - 7)}{4} dy[/tex]

It's still not coming out correct, though (I'm doing an internet-generated problem and it's saying that it's wrong). I'm getting 2.5625, by the way. Am I still doing something wrong?

6. Mar 22, 2007 #5
    Are you sure about " 3-2*(2^1/2)" as an answer, I can see where the 3 comes from, but I don't see how you got the square root of two there, what is the integral of the squareroot of x?

7. Mar 23, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you need to solve for x rather than y? That's a crucial part of the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?