Can the Area of a Sector be Determined Without Calculus or Trig?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Chord
In summary, the homework statement asks if it is possible to solve a problem involving the area of a sector cut off by two points on a circle. It is confirmed that it is not possible without using trigonometry.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a circle of radius r, and two points A and B on the circle.

We want to know the area of the sector cut off by A and B as a function of radius r and AB (the length of SEGMENT AB)

Without calculus or trig.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part of the question included "is this possible" and after trying for a while, I think not.

Can I get a confirmation either way?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what is allowed "without calculus or trig", but I would say yes.

My issue is that I feel like since the area of the sector involves the center angle - easily a transcendental given some interger AB value, that there isn't a way to get that transcendental without trig.

Of course, you can argue that you don't even know the circumference formula without calculus, or even have the concept of "area" for a circle. That's why I say it depends on what's allowed. Also, I see that you are given the segment AB, which I took to mean the arc AB. If you mean the length of the chord, then I would be more inclined to say no.

You're right, I should clarify.

I am allowed to use "high school geometry."

I know the area of a circle, I know Pythagorean theorem, I know area of a sector (in terms of radius and central angle) and so on.

But I could not say anything about the central angle with say, arcsin.

We were trolled, no solution.

Who was "trolled" and by whom? Where did you get this problem? It's relatively simple to solve but does require trigonometry.

My professor asked if it could be done, and if so, show how, for homework.

In class he revealed that it can't. So we were "trolled" in that we spent a lot of time on it because we figured that professors don't usually ask these if it really can't be done.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a sector from a chord?

The formula for finding the area of a sector from a chord is (1/2)r²θ, where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle in radians.

2. How is the central angle related to the area of a sector from a chord?

The central angle is directly proportional to the area of a sector from a chord. This means that as the central angle increases, the area of the sector also increases.

3. Can the area of a sector be calculated if the chord length and radius are known?

Yes, the area of a sector can be calculated if the chord length and radius are known. You can use the formula (1/2)r²sin(θ), where θ is the half-angle formed by the chord.

4. How is the area of a sector from a chord different from the area of a circle?

The area of a sector from a chord is a fraction of the area of the entire circle. It is only a portion of the circle's area, whereas the area of a circle is the total area enclosed by the circle's circumference.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the area of a sector from a chord?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the area of a sector from a chord. For example, it can be used in construction to calculate the area of circular structures such as swimming pools or domes. It is also used in navigation and surveying to calculate the area of a piece of land that is bounded by a circular boundary.