1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a sector of a circle

1. Jun 22, 2008 #1
    Prove the formula [tex] A = \frac{1}{2}r^{2}\theta[/tex] for the area of a sector of a circle with radius r and central angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. (Hint: Assume 0 < [tex]\theta[/tex] < [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] and place the center of the circle at the origin so it has the equation [tex]x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}[/tex] . Then A is the sum of the area of the triangle POQ and the area of the region PQR in the figure.)

[​IMG]

So the area of the triangle is 1/2bh which comes to [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^{2}cos\theta sin\theta[/tex]

Now, for the other region I used the integral [tex]\int\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}dx[/tex]

I make x = r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I plug that in under the square root sign and get r cos[tex]\theta[/tex].

I changed the limits of integration from r cos[tex]\theta[/tex] to r, to pi/4 to pi/2.

Now since dx = r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex] the integral for the area of the second region is [tex]\int r^{2}cos^{2}\theta d\theta[/tex]. Now here is where the problem starts, I pull the r^2 out of the equation and use half angle theorem on the cos^2 theta. After his I end up with [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^{2}(\theta+\frac{1}{2}sin2\thetacos\theta)[/tex] with limits pi/4 to pi/2. Now I am assuming there should be a negative equivalent somewhere here to cross out the first area and leave me with just [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^{2}\theta[/tex]but I don't see how I can get it to work, especially after I finish integration and sub the limits in at which point I will lose the trig ratios. Can anyone help me finish this question up?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2008 #2
    there's a better way:

Area of all / Area of sector = Total arc length / sector arc length

use r.theta = arc length

4. Jun 22, 2008 #3
    While I see that does work, I am more interested in solving the problem using trigonometric substitution.

5. Jun 22, 2008 #4
    why divide it into two areas
    when you can use Polar co-ordinates?

Using Jacobi transformations
    integrate from 0 to theta

6. Jun 22, 2008 #5
    I was preoccupied watching movie..

using your method
    I got
    0.5r^2.theta - 0.5 * int (0,theta) cos 2*t dt
    for second area...

I think you took wrong limits

starting from very beginning:
    second area:
    int (0, theta) int (r. cos thata -- > r) [r] .dr.d(theta)

urs different

for
    [tex]
    \int r^{2}cos^{2}\theta d\theta
    [/tex]

I have
    [tex]
    \int r^{2}sin^{2}\theta d\theta
    [/tex]

7. Jun 23, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Calcotron! :smile:

You've used θ to mean two different things.

First, it's a fixed value, then it's a variable of integration.

Don't be stingy … use another letter! :smile:

(and be careful about the limits of integration!)

8. Jun 23, 2008 #7
    Yeah, I always use theta for that part and I wasn't thinking here. Ok, so if I make the substitution x = r sin u the limits change to [tex] sin^{-1}cos\theta[/tex] to [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]correct?

I end up with [tex] \frac{1}{2}r^{2}[\frac{\pi}{2} - (sin^{-1}cos\theta + \frac{1}{4}sin(2sin^{-1}(cos\theta))][/tex]

I assume the sin and arcsin cross out but I still cannot see how to get this into a form so that it will cancel out the area of the first triangle that I found. Can anyone see where I made a mistake?

9. Jun 23, 2008 #8
    Well, if I replace [tex]sin^{-1}cos\theta[/tex] with [tex] \frac{\pi}{2} - \theta[/tex] in both spots there and then an angle sum identity on the last term, and then the double angle sin identity I get the right answer. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. Jun 24, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

go for the obvious …

Hi Calcotron! :smile:
    uhh? :confused:

Why x = rsinu?

Why deliberately give yourself limits like arcsin(cos)??

Try again with (the far more obvious?) x = rcosu. :smile:

11. Jun 24, 2008 #10
    that works too

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?