Can You Recall the Formula for Finding the Area of a Spherical Patch?

In summary, the area of a spherical patch can be calculated by parametrizing the surface and using the surface integral formula, which is given by the "differential of surface area" of a sphere of radius R. This formula involves the two angles, \theta and \phi, and can be expressed as \int_{\theta= \theta_0}^{\theta_1}\int_{\phi= \phi_0}^{\phi_1} R^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta. However, there is also another formula, known as the "pyramid solid angle formula", which can be used if the sides of the patch are segments of great circles. This formula involves the apex angles,
Curl
Does anyone remember the formula for the area of a spherical patch in terms of two angles?

Obviously you parametrize the surface and do the surface integral but I'm a bit too lazy/busy right now. So does anyone just remember the result?

By spherical patch I mean something like this:
WATER_366_2007_76_Fig12_HTML.jpg

I want to define it by two angles which are between some arbitrary values. The z-axis passes through the center of the patch and is normal to the surface at the intersection point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "differential of surface area" of a sphere of radius R is [itex]R^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/itex] so the area of a spherical patch with [itex]\theta[/itex] between [itex]\theta_0[/itex] and [itex]\theta_1[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex] between [itex]\phi_0[/itex] and [itex]\phi_1[/itex] is given by
[tex]\int_{\theta= \theta_0}^{\theta_1}\int_{\phi= \phi_0}^{\phi_1} R^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/tex]
[tex]= R^2(\theta_1- \theta_0)(cos(\phi_0)- cos(\phi_1))[/tex]

I have the impression that HallsofIvy did not answer Curl's question... however, I'm extrapolating a bit based on Curl's verbiage and picture.

I think Curl is depicting what would be the intersection of two orthogonal lunes, that is: all for "sides" of the patch are segments along great circles. (I'd informally call this a "rectangular patch of a sphere"...)

I think HallsofIvy answered as if the "sides" of the patch are like "latitude and longitude lines" on the globe. As we know, latitude lines are NOT great circles, except for latitude = 0°. (I'd informally call this a "trapezoidal patch of a sphere"...)

So I think Curl's question is yet to be answered.

However -- if I'm right -- then I got the answer I was looking for, which was the "latitude-longitude" sense.

If the sides of the "patch" are segments of great circles, then the area on the surface of a sphere of radius 1 is given by the "pyramid solid angle formula",
[tex]\Omega = 4 \arcsin \left( \sin \frac{a}{2} \sin \frac{b}{2} \right) [/tex]
where a and b are the apex angles. Mutiply by [itex]R^2[/itex] for a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex].

See the section titled "Pyramid" in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle

The formula for the area of a spherical patch in terms of two angles is given by:

A = R^2 * (θ2 - θ1) * (sin φ2 - sin φ1)

Where R is the radius of the sphere, θ1 and θ2 are the two angles defining the boundaries of the patch, and φ1 and φ2 are the corresponding angles on the vertical axis.

This formula can be derived by parametrizing the surface of the spherical patch and performing a surface integral, as mentioned. However, it is important to note that the result may vary depending on the orientation and parametrization chosen.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please let me know.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a spherical patch?

The formula for finding the area of a spherical patch is A = 2πR²(1 - cosθ), where R is the radius of the sphere and θ is the central angle of the patch in radians.

2. How is the area of a spherical patch different from the surface area of a sphere?

The area of a spherical patch is a smaller portion of the surface area of a sphere. It represents the area of a curved surface that is bounded by a circular arc and two radii of the sphere.

3. Can the area of a spherical patch be negative?

No, the area of a spherical patch cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the surface area of the curved surface.

4. How does the central angle affect the area of a spherical patch?

The larger the central angle, the larger the area of the spherical patch will be. This is because a larger central angle covers a larger portion of the curved surface of the sphere, resulting in a larger area.

5. Is there a way to visualize the area of a spherical patch?

Yes, there are several ways to visualize the area of a spherical patch. One way is to imagine a slice of a pie, where the crust represents the circular arc and the two radii of the sphere represent the edges of the slice. The area of the slice would be equivalent to the area of the spherical patch.