What is the Area of a Transformed Region?

• Thread starter ythamsten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the linear transformation T(x,y)→(9x+3y,5x+2y) maps a square region R with area 4 to a parallelogram region T(R) with area 12. The value of the determinant of the transformation matrix, which represents the scaling factor, is 3. This also determines whether the orientation of the region is preserved or reversed.
ythamsten

Homework Statement

Let T:R2→R2 be the linear transformation such that T(x,y)→(9x+3y,5x+2y). Let R be the region on the plane defined as {(x,y) [itex]\in[/itex] R2/ 0≤x≤2 and 0≤y≤2 }. Consider the region T(R) [itex]\subset[/itex] R2, which is the image of the region R by the linear transform T. What is the area of the region T(R)?

PS: When I write purely R, I refer to the region. And when I write R2, to the plane. Just to make it clear

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not making quite progress. I mean, I've notice some things, e.g. this linear transformation is a linear operator, that it is also surjective (it's image covers the whole plane). To begin with, I think the region R is like a little square, with area 4. But I get quite confused afterwards on what T(R) really looks like and then in computing it. Hope for some help, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are familiar with determinants you should use that. Otherwise you might want to try to draw the new region. Try to figure out what happens to the boundary. First take ##y=0## and let ## 0 \leq x \leq 2## and see where that line segment maps to. Then do the same for the other three edges of the square.

Likes 1 person
Because, as you say, this is a linear equation, it maps straight lines to straight lines. The original figure is a square with vertices (0, 0), (2, 0), (0, 2), (2, 2). What are T(0, 0), T(2, 0), T(0, 2), and T(2, 2)?

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys, I was able to figure out better how to do looking up what happened to the boudaries, indeed. Took T(0,0)=(0,0), T(2,0)=(18,10), T(0,2)=(6,4), T(2,2)=(24,14). The problem before was that I was doing exactly this, but was unable to realize that the transformed region is a parallelogram.
I concluded that from calling u=(6,4), v=(18,10), w=(24,14). Since w-v=1u, w-v is actually parallel to u. Similarly, noticing w-u=1v, I could conclude that w-u was parallel to v. Afterwards, I took norm of the vector product between those u and v (considered them in R3, with z component 0), obtaining 12, which is numerically equal to the area (I hope!).
But Quesadilla, could you tell me a little bit about this determinant approach? I'm not too bothered to work with it, might be interesting... Thanks again guys.

Yes, so any linear transformation ##T : \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n ##, ## \mathbf{x} \mapsto \mathbf{y}## can, in a given basis, be represented in matrix form
\begin{equation*}
\mathbf{y} = A\mathbf{x},
\end{equation*}
where ##\mathbf{x} = (x_1, x_2, ... x_n)##, ##\mathbf{y} = (y_1, y_2, ..., y_n) \in \mathbb{R}^n## are vectors and ##A \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}## is an ##n \times n## matrix.

To any square matrix, one can associate a scalar value called the determinant, denoted ##det##. If you already know about determinants, you might know that a square matrix, ##A##, is invertible (i.e., there exists another matrix which we denote ##A^{-1}## such that ##A^{-1} A = A A^{-1} = I##. Here ##I## is the identity matrix.) if and only if ##det(A) \neq 0##.

The value of the determinant also tells you the scaling factor an area (or volume in higher dimensions) is multiplied by under the linear transformation. The sign of the determinant (if it is nonzero) will also tell you whether orientation is preserved or reversed.

In your case ##n = 2## and so the transformation can be written, in matrix form
\begin{equation*}
\begin{bmatrix}
\tilde x \\ \tilde y
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
9 & 3 \\ 5 & 2
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x \\ y
\end{bmatrix}.
\end{equation*}
There exist algorithms for determining the value of the determinant for any ##n##, but for ##2 \times 2## matrices it is very simple. If
\begin{equation*}
A = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix},
\end{equation*}
the determinant is simply given by ## det(A) = ad - bc##.

In your exercise, the determinant thus becomes ## 9 \cdot 2 - 3 \cdot 5 = 3##. As you noted ##R## is the square ##0 \leq x,y \leq 2## with area ##4##. The area of ##T(R)## is therefore ## 4 \cdot det(A) = 4 \cdot 3 = 12##, which agrees with what you found!

If you want to know more about determinants you could read the article on wikipedia or any introductory linear algebra textbook.

Likes 1 person
Hm, that's very nice to know about the scaling and orientation fact. My work with determinants back when I took linear algebra was more theoretical and I couldn't stand calculating them in higher order matrices. Always runned alway from it, hahaha. But in this case, I found this a more interesting way to go. Anyway, thanks for the help again!

What is the "area of a transformed region"?

The "area of a transformed region" refers to the amount of space that is enclosed within a shape or region after it has undergone a transformation, such as rotation, translation, reflection, or dilation.

How is the area of a transformed region calculated?

The area of a transformed region is calculated by first finding the area of the original shape or region, and then applying the appropriate formula or method to account for the transformation. For example, if a shape is rotated, the area can be found using the formula A = bh, where b and h are the base and height of the rotated shape.

What are some common transformations that can affect the area of a region?

Some common transformations that can affect the area of a region include rotation, translation, reflection, and dilation. Other transformations, such as shearing or stretching, can also affect the area of a region.

How does the area of a transformed region compare to the area of the original region?

In most cases, the area of a transformed region will be different from the area of the original region. This is because the transformation changes the shape and size of the region, which in turn affects the area. However, there are some transformations, such as translation, that do not change the area of the region.

Why is it important to calculate the area of a transformed region?

Calculating the area of a transformed region is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the size and shape of different regions. It is also useful in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics, where understanding the properties of transformed regions is necessary for designing and analyzing structures and systems.