What is the area of triangle ABC in 3-D?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of triangle ABC with the given coordinates using different methods such as Heron's formula, finding the distance between points, using the cross product, and using vectors. The final answer is 6.5, but there is some discussion about possible mistakes and shortcuts in the given methods.
ivybond
Question:
Find the area of triangle ABC that has the coordinates A(1, 3, 0), B(0, 2, 5), and C(-1, 0, 2).
-------------------
One way to do that is to find the lengths of ABC sides and use Heron's formula. Not pretty nymbers!

You can find the distance h between C and AB.
Area A(ABC) = 1/2 AB h.

I noticed that ABC "split in half" by yz-plane.
Midpoint M(0,3/2,1) of AC is in yz-plane. ABC's median BM is in yz-plane.
This fact for some reason fascinated me, and, I guess, made me find area of AMB first and then double it to get area of ABC.
BM = sqrt(65)/2.
BM equation
(0)x + (8)y + (-1)z + (-11) = 0,
distance between A and BM is
H=|(0)(1)+(8)(3)+(-10)(0)+(-11)| /sqrt (0^2+8^2+(-1)^2))
H=13/sqrt(65)

A(ABC) = BM*H = (sqrt(65)/2)*(13/sqrt(65)) = 13 / 2 = 6.5

The answer seems to be too good to require such a long solution.

I also think that the fact that vertices A, B, and C are respectively in xy-plane, yz-plane, and xz-plane, should provide a shortcut.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll take a guess
Can you just use Pothagorean to find the length of the sides?

[tex]length_{AB} = \sqrt{( |A_x-B_x|)^2 + (|A_y-B_y|)^2 +(|A_z-B_z|)^2}[/tex]

Do the same for AC and BC, then use Heron's formula.

Use the cross-product. Calculate (say) [tex]\vec {AB} \times \vec{AC} [/tex].

I'm getting a different number for the area, but I'm not sure where your mistake is.

Have you learned about the cross product in your class? Given two vectors, such as the vectors AB and AC, if you take their cross product the magnitude of the resulting vector is the area of the parallelogram with sides AB, AC (the other two sides are parallel to AB, AC of course). The area of the triangle ABC is then half the area of the parallelogram.

I am sorry I failed to mention that this question was given in the Algebra 2 class to somebody I know.
Using vectors is the fastest way to go (I did not check my answer though :redface: ), but I don't think they covered it in the class.

Thanks anyway!

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle in 3-D?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle in 3-D is 1/2 * base * height, where the base and height are the lengths of the triangle's base and height in three-dimensional space.

How do you determine the base and height of a triangle in 3-D?

The base and height of a triangle in 3-D can be determined by finding the lengths of the sides of the triangle and using the Pythagorean theorem. Alternatively, if the coordinates of the vertices of the triangle are known, the base and height can be calculated using vector operations.

Can the area of a triangle in 3-D be negative?

No, the area of a triangle in 3-D cannot be negative. It is a measure of the surface area of the triangle, and thus cannot have a negative value. If the calculated area is negative, it may indicate an error in the calculation or an issue with the coordinates of the triangle's vertices.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the area of a triangle in 3-D?

The calculation of the area of a triangle in 3-D is used in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is particularly useful in calculating the surface area of 3-D objects, such as buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate the surface area of 3-D models.

Are there any alternative methods for finding the area of a triangle in 3-D?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the area of a triangle in 3-D, such as using the cross product of two sides of the triangle or using determinants. However, the most commonly used method is the simple formula of 1/2 * base * height, as it is easy to understand and apply.