1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a Triangle

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The three vectors A, B, C point from the origin O to the three corners of a triangle. Show that the area of a triangle = 1/2 |( BxC + CxA + AxB )|

2. Relevant equations

1/2 |a x b| = 1/2 |a||b|sin(alpha)

3. The attempt at a solution

My initial attempt at this problem was to take the cross product like (Bx, By, Bz) x (Cx, Cy, Cz) and seeing if anything canceled. Unfortunately nothing did (I also tried with a '2d' vector (Bx, By, 0) etc and nothing canceled either).

I believe I have to somehow use the equation I listed, but I'm not really sure what to do. It seems a little counterproductive to do the cross product three times. There aren't any simplifications that I can see. Anyone know where I should start?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

For a triangle of side |a| and |b| with included angle [itex], what does [itex]\frac{1}{2} |a||b|sin\alpha[/itex] give?
  4. May 26, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jesuslovesu! :smile:

Hint: what is the area of triangle OAB? :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?