1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of an Athletic Field

1. Nov 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An athletic field is to be built in the sahpe of a rectangle x units long capped by semicircular regions of radius r at the two ends. The field is to be bounded by a 400-m racetrack.
    a. Express the area of the rectangular portion of the field as a funcion of x alone or r alone (your choice).
    b. What values of x and r give the rectangular portion the largest possible area?

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a, i expressed the equation in terms of r. I got 40000/pi - pi(r)^2. i just took the overall area and subtract it by the semicircular circles.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is your question? If you are asking if you did this correctly, I can't say because didn't show how you got that answer. Are you saying that the "overall area" is 4000/pi? How did you get that?

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    i got the 40000/pi - pi(r)^2 by getting the overall area and minus it by the semicircular circles that cap the rectangular part. thats the answer for a.

5. Nov 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not. If r=0 that gives 40000/pi for the area, which can't be right. Again, show how you reached that conclusion.

6. Nov 26, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now, please answer my original question. HOW did you get "the overall area"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?