What is the Correct Formula for the Area of an Isosceles Triangle?

In summary, in this conversation, the topic of finding the area of an isosceles triangle was discussed. The correct formula for the area of a right triangle, (1/2)*base*height, was mentioned. However, when splitting an isosceles triangle into two right triangles, the base of each triangle is only half of the original base. Therefore, the correct formula for the area of an isosceles triangle is (1/2)*base*height + (1/2)*base*height, which simplifies to base*height. This was confirmed by comparing the area of one right triangle to the area of the isosceles triangle.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

Imagine an isoscoles triangle. The "top" vertex has an angle of 2*theta. The common side has a length of L. When you cut the isoscoles triangle in half, that common side becomes the hypotenuse of the two resulting right-triangles.

[itex]{\rm{BaseLength}} = L \cdot \sin \theta + L\sin \theta = 2L\sin \theta [/itex]

[itex]{\rm{HeightLength}} = L\cos \theta [/itex]

I also am under the impression that:

[itex]{\rm{Area = BaseLength}} \times {\rm{HeightLength}}[/itex]

...so obviously:
[itex]A = 2{L^2}\sin \theta \cos \theta [/itex]

If this is the correct area, then I've found a typo in a book... Can you either confirm my suspicions or refute my stance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Area is half base times height.

...For a right triangle, yes, area is (1/2)*base*height. And I've split my isosceles triangle into two right triangles, so the area of an isosceles triangle seems to be (1/2)*base*height + (1/2)*base*height = base*height. No?

bjnartowt said:
...For a right triangle, yes, area is (1/2)*base*height.
For any triangle, A = (1/2)bh.

And I've split my isosceles triangle into two right triangles, so the area of an isosceles triangle seems to be (1/2)*base*height + (1/2)*base*height = base*height. No?
No. If you split your isosceles triangle into two right trangles, then the base of the right triangle would be half of the base of the isosceles triangle.

The base of one right triangle is
[tex]b = L \sin \theta[/tex].
So the area of one right triangle is
[tex]\begin{aligned}
A &= \frac{1}{2}bh \\
&= \frac{1}{2}L^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta
\end{aligned}[/tex]

The base of the isosceles triangle is
[tex]b = 2L \sin \theta[/tex].
So the area of the isosceles triangle is
[tex]\begin{aligned}
A &= \frac{1}{2}bh \\
&= \frac{1}{2}(2)L^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta \\
&= L^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]

The area of one right triangle is half of the area of the isosceles triangle, so it checks out.69

Curse my tendency to omit critical details like that! Ack.

Thanks, now I see why the author had an extra factor of 1/2 that I was confused by. :-p ...I wonder why I love math so much if it keep blowing raspberries at me, like now?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of an isosceles triangle?

The formula for finding the area of an isosceles triangle is (base x height) / 2, where the base is the length of one of the equal sides and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

2. How do you know if a triangle is isosceles?

A triangle is isosceles if it has two equal sides and two equal angles opposite those sides. This can be determined by measuring the sides and angles or by looking at the triangle's markings and properties.

3. Can you find the area of an isosceles triangle if you only know the length of the base?

Yes, you can find the area of an isosceles triangle if you know the length of the base and the height. The height of an isosceles triangle can be found by drawing a perpendicular line from the opposite vertex to the base, splitting the triangle into two right triangles. The length of this line is the height, and it can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. How do you find the height of an isosceles triangle?

The height of an isosceles triangle can be found by drawing a perpendicular line from the opposite vertex to the base, splitting the triangle into two right triangles. The length of this line is the height, and it can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Can the area of an isosceles triangle ever be negative?

No, the area of any geometric shape cannot be negative. The area of an isosceles triangle is always a positive value, even if one or more of its sides are negative lengths.