1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of an oval

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    area of an "oval"

Hello

I want to calculate the area under the length "L" of this shape.
    W, h and b are known.

I am using the formula for a ellipse, pi*h*L/4 but it is not so good when h gets bigger for instance or when b gets smaller.
    When h is small, the calculated area with the elipse equation gets to big, and when h gets larger the calculated area get smaller than it really is..

Any ideas or tips ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: area of an "oval"

Calculate the rectangular and curved parts separately. The rectangular part's area is Lh. The shape of the curved parts has to be described in better detail.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

you can try with the way mathman said. find out rectangle area by Lh, ellipse area (Pi*(h/2)*b) add both.

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4

There will still be the left over part between where B ends and the rectangle starts.

Tough question. I am interested to hear a solution!

6. Feb 14, 2009 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be precise as to shape of the boundary! I cannot tell from the picture the exact shape of the part outside the rectangle.

7. Feb 16, 2009 #6

even i dont understand the picture. i gave formula just assuming that b starts from the L that is L+2b = W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook