Finding the Missing Side Length of a Composite Shape

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a composite shape using the formula A = L x W for a rectangle and A = hbb / 2 for a triangle. The person already knows the height and base of the triangle, but is unsure how to find the length of the remaining side. After receiving some clarification, they realize they can directly calculate the area of the triangle using the given measurements.
Kirito123

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-12_22-30-0.png

Homework Equations

A = l x w
A = hbb / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the area of a rectangle you would use the formula "A = L x W". In this case A = 14 x 8 which is eual to 112, Now all i need is the area of the triangle and then i add them together and that will be the area of the whole figure.

So i know we have the height of the triangle is 5
Also the part i colored yellow is 8 m long.
upload_2016-5-12_22-37-3.png

So my question is how can i find the length of 1 of the sides of the triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kirito123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 100649

Homework Equations

A = l x w
A = hbb / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the area of a rectangle you would use the formula "A = L x W". In this case A = 14 x 8 which is eual to 112, Now all i need is the area of the triangle and then i add them together and that will be the area of the whole figure.

So i know we have the height of the triangle is 5
Also the part i colored yellow is 8 m long.
View attachment 100650

So my question is how can i find the length of 1 of the sides of the triangle.

Why would you need to find that?

Ray Vickson said:
Why would you need to find that?

I need to find the area of that triangle, that way i can find the whole area of that composite shape.

Kirito123 said:
I need to find the area of that triangle, that way i can find the whole area of that composite shape.
for area of that triangle you already have the base ( 8m) and height (5m), so you don't need to calculate other sides, you can directly calculate the area.

OMG I totally didn't even think about that...... face palm:doh:. sahil you just cleared my mind, man I am so in a blrr today. anyway i now know what to do.

Thanks m8 :)

What is the definition of "area of composite shapes"?

The area of composite shapes refers to the total space inside a complex shape made up of two or more simpler shapes, such as rectangles, triangles, circles, or irregular polygons.

How do you find the area of a composite shape?

To find the area of a composite shape, you first need to break it down into simpler shapes. Then, use the appropriate formula for each shape to calculate its individual area. Finally, add all the individual areas together to get the total area of the composite shape.

What is the formula for finding the area of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the area of a rectangle is length x width. This means you simply multiply the length of one side of the rectangle by the length of an adjacent side. For example, if a rectangle has a length of 6 units and a width of 4 units, its area would be 6 x 4 = 24 square units.

Can the area of a composite shape be greater than the sum of its parts?

Yes, it is possible for the area of a composite shape to be greater than the sum of its parts. This can occur when there is overlap between the individual shapes or when the composite shape has curved edges that are not accounted for in the individual areas.

Why is it important to know how to find the area of composite shapes?

Knowing how to find the area of composite shapes is important for various reasons. It is a practical skill that can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the area of a room or a piece of land. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry and can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.