1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of effect from magnets

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    Forgive me for being slow;
    We have always been told to keep magnets away from electronics, especially computers.
    Some places in the world have these Maglev trains, and it would seem to me that the magnetic force required to levitate 200 tons would destroy any electronics you would bring aboard, would it be safe to bring a laptop on a maglev train?

If assumed safe to have a computer on a maglev train. What about a bed. I just read this article about a bed levitated on magnets; http://dvice.com/archives/2012/05/maglev-bed-lets.php

Obviously it required less force to levitate a 200 pound bed than a 200 ton train, but in the bed you would also be closer to the magnets, how close could you be to a magnet before you would damage i.e. computer. Could you lie in bed with your laptop?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF.
    Maglev trains typically shield their magnets - not heard about the bed. That would be this one?

Magnets used to be a big problem with magnetic media - we no longer use floppies and HDDs are pretty well shielded these days so it's not such an issue.

Moving about in a magnetic fields will induce currents in conductors on your person, which can be quite large depending on the field and the type of movement involved. I doubt the magnetically levitated bed would be good for any pacemakers for eg. Roll over in your sleep and get a heart attack... as for low fields: you realize that pretty much all electrical equipment have their own right?

I notice that if you casually google about health effects of magnetic fields you get an amazing amount of pseudoscience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook