Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Area of parametric equation

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I've been trying to do this one question: Let R be the region enclosed by the graph x=t^2-2 y=t^3-2t. Set up the integral for the area of R.

I know that if y is continous function of x on an interval a ≤ x ≤ b where x=f(t) and y=g(t) then [tex]\int_{a}^{b}[/tex] y dx =[tex]\int_{t1}^{t2}[/tex] g(t)f'(t)dt provided that f(t1)=a and f(t2)=b and both g and f' are continous on [t1,t2].

But everytime i equate and solve for t i get sqrt(2) and 1. This is where i get lost I cant seem to find the interval for parametric equations (any of them :mad: ). Other then the interval I do belive i have the rest of the integral:

[tex]\int[/tex] (t^3-2t)(2t)dt

Thanks in advance (sorry for long post as well as horrid use of that latex typing first time)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Is there any more information given?

The graph translated to [tex]y=x\sqrt{x+2}[/tex]. There doesn't seem to be any enclosed region.

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3
    the question copied and pasted from the pdf file is as follows:

4. Let R be the region enclosed by the graph of x = t^2 − 2, y = t^3 − 2t . (The graph was sketch for the final in 2004)

a. Set up, BUT DO NOT EVALUATE an integral for the area of R .

Thats all the info that was given :/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  5. Apr 14, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Sorry, there is NO area "enclosed" by that graph.

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5
    Actually, the parametrization can be broken into the 3 implicit functions y = [itex]x\sqrt{x+2}[/itex] for [itex]t\in(0, \infty)[/itex], y = [itex]-x\sqrt{x+2}[/itex] for [itex]t\in(-\infty, 0)[/itex], and y = 0 for t = 0. The graphs of these functions enclose a region between x=0 and x=-2. Given the symmetry of the graphs of the functions (one is just a reflection in the x-axis of the other), all one needs to do is integrate the positive function on this interval and multiply by 2. :smile:

7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    Thanks for the help got was able to get the answer now.

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Oops. Yes... the minus sign. Sorry about that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook