1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of parametric equation

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I've been trying to do this one question: Let R be the region enclosed by the graph x=t^2-2 y=t^3-2t. Set up the integral for the area of R.

I know that if y is continous function of x on an interval a ≤ x ≤ b where x=f(t) and y=g(t) then [tex]\int_{a}^{b}[/tex] y dx =[tex]\int_{t1}^{t2}[/tex] g(t)f'(t)dt provided that f(t1)=a and f(t2)=b and both g and f' are continous on [t1,t2].

But everytime i equate and solve for t i get sqrt(2) and 1. This is where i get lost I cant seem to find the interval for parametric equations (any of them :mad: ). Other then the interval I do belive i have the rest of the integral:

[tex]\int[/tex] (t^3-2t)(2t)dt

Thanks in advance (sorry for long post as well as horrid use of that latex typing first time)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Is there any more information given?

The graph translated to [tex]y=x\sqrt{x+2}[/tex]. There doesn't seem to be any enclosed region.

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3
    the question copied and pasted from the pdf file is as follows:

4. Let R be the region enclosed by the graph of x = t^2 − 2, y = t^3 − 2t . (The graph was sketch for the final in 2004)

a. Set up, BUT DO NOT EVALUATE an integral for the area of R .

Thats all the info that was given :/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  5. Apr 14, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, there is NO area "enclosed" by that graph.

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5
    Actually, the parametrization can be broken into the 3 implicit functions y = [itex]x\sqrt{x+2}[/itex] for [itex]t\in(0, \infty)[/itex], y = [itex]-x\sqrt{x+2}[/itex] for [itex]t\in(-\infty, 0)[/itex], and y = 0 for t = 0. The graphs of these functions enclose a region between x=0 and x=-2. Given the symmetry of the graphs of the functions (one is just a reflection in the x-axis of the other), all one needs to do is integrate the positive function on this interval and multiply by 2. :smile:

7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    Thanks for the help got was able to get the answer now.

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Oops. Yes... the minus sign. Sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?