Math & Physics Degrees: Exploring Areas & Requirements

• Thread starter BadlyAddicted
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience in 6th form and their regret in not choosing Physics as an A-level subject. They mention their plan to study the A-level syllabus on their own in order to prepare for a B.Sc in Math & Physics at their desired university. They also question the value of A-level certificates and ask about potential areas of study in math and physics, with a focus on experimentation and problem solving. There is also a brief mention of the British school system and a humorous remark about Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture.
BadlyAddicted
Hi guys. I have just started 6th form, meaning that in 1.5 years I'll be starting university and will have to choose a major. At 6th form, I choose Pure Math and Computing at Advanced Level and I choose Physics at intermediate level. However after a couple of weeks at school I'm realising that I choose subjects that I'm really good at rather than subjects that I really really love. So I'm regretting that i didn't choose Physics at A-level instead of Computing and the head of the school didn't allow me to change subjects. Anyway, fortunately, the University that i'd like to go to has these requirements for a course in B.Sc Math & Physics: It says that you need a grade C or better in A-level Pure Math and a Grade C or better in intermediate physics at least. So part of the problem is solved.

Now I've decided to study the A-level syllabus on my own, just to make sure that if i take the B.Sc Math & Physics course at Uni, i won't find physics too hard. However I won't have any certificate showing that i studied it which is part of the reason why I'm writing this thread.

Lets say i get a B.Sc in Math and Physics, if I want a to get a Masters degree somewhere abroad, i will only need to present that certificate, right? I won't be needing to present the A-levels i got.. i mean the B.Sc certificate would surely be more valuable.

2nd question is, i really want to know what areas of math and physics one could study. One of my biggest wishes is to expirement and discover new stuff, play with some high tech gadgets and solve real world problems or explain nature using complex math and physics. If you can, please don't just tell me atomic physics for example.. instead give me some specifics. I apreciate a lot. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
BadlyAddicted said:
At 6th form, I choose Pure Math and Computing at Advanced Level and I choose Physics at intermediate level.

See, this is why American high schools suck so much. o_O

BadlyAddicted said:
However I won't have any certificate showing that i studied it which is part of the reason why I'm writing this thread.

After you get a B.Sc, is anyone going to care what you did before that? Not unless they're writing you biography, and even then probably not. Even now, university admissions isn't going to care what you did in school when you were learning arithmetic and letters, right?

BadlyAddicted said:
what areas of math and physics one could study. One of my biggest wishes is to expirement and discover new stuff, play with some high tech gadgets and solve real world problems or explain nature using complex math and physics.

Usually one waits on that kind of specialization until the graduate level, but many schools have a strong undergraduate research program. You may want to look at getting a lab position once you get there. Math research tends to involve fewer gadgets, though.

Asphodel said:
See, this is why American high schools suck so much. o_O
i thought the british school system was having a crisis? what does advanced pure math and computing even mean at the secondary level? calculus and c++ programming? somehow i doubt he's over there proving the poincare conjecture

ice109 said:
i thought the british school system was having a crisis? what does advanced pure math and computing even mean at the secondary level? calculus and c++ programming? somehow i doubt he's over there proving the poincare conjecture

Yea, Perelman is to busy not publishing the proof.

1. What is the difference between a math degree and a physics degree?

A math degree focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, while a physics degree focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Math degrees typically involve more theoretical and abstract concepts, while physics degrees involve more hands-on experimentation and application of theories.

2. What are the common areas of study in a math or physics degree?

Common areas of study in a math degree include algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics. In a physics degree, common areas of study may include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. Are there any specific requirements for a math or physics degree?

The specific requirements for a math or physics degree may vary depending on the university or program. However, common requirements may include a strong foundation in mathematics, such as completing courses in calculus and linear algebra, as well as proficiency in using mathematical and scientific software.

4. What career options are available for those with a math or physics degree?

Individuals with a math or physics degree may pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, academia, engineering, data analysis, finance, and technology. These degrees provide a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many industries.

5. Can you combine a math and physics degree?

Yes, many universities offer joint or dual degree programs that allow students to combine a math and physics degree. This can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing careers in fields such as astrophysics, mathematical physics, or theoretical physics, which require a strong understanding of both disciplines.