1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of plane region

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area of the plane region bounded by the curve
    $$
    (x^2+y^2)^3 = x^4+y^4
    $$

2. Relevant equations
    The change of variables formula:
    $$
    \int\int_R F(x,y)dxdy = \int\int_S G(u,v)\left| \frac{∂(x,y)}{∂(u,v)}\right| dudv
    $$

3. The attempt at a solution

I recognize this as a change of variables problem, and in general I understand how to do change of variables, but for this one I cannot figure out what to use as the new variables u = u(x,y) and v = v(x,y). Previously I could tell what I needed by inspection, but I cannot tell with this problem. Is there some method for directly computing what u and v must be?

I thought of using [itex]{u = x^2 + y^2}[/itex] and [itex]{v = x^4 + y^4}[/itex], but I can't figure out how to use this to solve for x and y, so I reached a dead end.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try [itex]\displaystyle u=x^2+y^2\ \ \text{ and }\ \ v=2xy\,.[/itex]

4. Dec 24, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your help! Using the above change of variables, I solved for x and y in terms of u and v (to compute the Jacobian [itex] \frac{∂(x,y)}{∂(u,v)} [/itex]):

[itex] v = 2xy \Rightarrow y = \frac{v}{2x} [/itex]

[itex] u = x^2+y^2=x^2 + \frac{v^2}{4x^2} \Rightarrow 4x^4-4ux^2+v^2=0[/itex]

Let [itex] z=x^2 [/itex]. Then

[itex] 4z^2-4uz+v^2=0 \Rightarrow z = \frac{1}{2}\left( u \pm \sqrt{u^2-v^2} \right) [/itex]

[itex] \Rightarrow x = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{2}\left( u \pm \sqrt{u^2-v^2} \right) } [/itex]

[itex] \Rightarrow y = \frac{v}{2\sqrt{ \frac{1}{2}\left( u \pm \sqrt{u^2-v^2} \right) }} [/itex]

The curve becomes

[itex] u^3 = x^4+y^4 = (x+y)^4 - 2xy(2y^2+3xy+2x^2) = (u+v)^2-4xy(x+y)^2+2x^2y^2 = (u+v)^2 - 2v(u+v)+\frac{1}{2}v^2 = u^2-\frac{1}{2}v^2[/itex]

[itex] \Rightarrow u^3 = u^2-\frac{1}{2}v^2 [/itex]

This seems overly complicated, like I made a mistake somewhere, but I cannot find it - does it look correct? Also, when I graphed the new curve, I got the below graph, so I think I didn't do something right. Isn't it supposed to be a nice curve?

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Dec 24, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that's all right. I got the same graph.

I transformed the expression by noticing that [itex]\displaystyle u^2=(x^2+y^2)^2=x^4+2x^2y^2+y^4\,.[/itex]

So subtract 2v2 from that to get x4+y4 .

Of course, (x2+y2)3 was obvious.

I haven't looked at the resulting integral, but solving for v is fairly easy:
    [itex]v=\pm\sqrt{2(u^2-u^3)}=\pm|u|\sqrt{2}\sqrt{1-u}\,.[/itex]​

Your graph is consistent with this from the point of view that the loop corresponds to 0 ≤ u ≤ 1. [itex]\sqrt{1-u}[/itex] is real there.

Have you worked out the Jacobian yet?

6. Dec 24, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After looking at the graph of u^3 < u^2-v^2, I also have my doubts about this transformation.

7. Dec 25, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Before I go on about my previous suggestion for a translation, have you tried polar coordinates? ...

After messing around with a few sets of ordered pairs and a few other details, like graphing the region in the xy-plane, I like this transformation again.

Here's WolframAlpha's graph of the region in the xy-plane, along with the graphs of two circles, one with radius 1 the other with radius = 1/√(2) :
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42201&stc=1&d=1324788926.gif

Here's WolframAlpha's graph of the region in the xy-plane, along with the graph of y = ±x .
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42202&stc=1&d=1324789056.gif

Since x2 + y2 ≥ 0, u ≥ 0, for the region of interest.

The point (x,y)=(a, ±a) → (u,v)=(2a2, ±2a2), where the signs are correlated.
    Specifically, the point (x,y)=(1/2, ±1/2) → (u,v)=(1/2, ±1/2) .​

The point (x,y)=(±a,0) → (u,v)=(a2,0) also the point (x,y)=(0, ±a) → (u,v)=(a2,0) .
    Specifically, the points (x,y)=(±1,0) and (x,y)=(0, ±1) all go to (u,v)=(1,0)​

Attached Files:

8. Dec 25, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Definitely, use polar coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook