Area of Polar Curve: Find the Area Enclosed by r=2+sin(4θ)

In summary, the area enclosed by the graph r=2+sin(4θ) is 4.5π, and the limits of integration should be 0 and π/2. The correct answer is related to the period of r(theta).
steel1

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the graph r=2+sin(4θ)

Homework Equations

Area = .5∫r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Area = .5∫(2+sin(4θ))^2
=.5(4.5θ-1/16sin(8θ)-cos(4θ))

I can do the integration and all, but I am having trouble finding the limits of integration

I set sin(4θ)=0 and solve, and get 0 and pi/4. but when i use these limits, i get the wrong answer.

correct answer is 4.5pi

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plotting the curve (either using a calculator or computer, or by hand)?
That should give you a clue (hint: the correct answer is related to the period of r(theta)).

CompuChip said:
Hhint: the correct answer is related to the period of r(theta)).
It is? i don't see that. Since r > 0 for all theta, the curve cannot join up until it has gone all the way around 2π.

Exactly. So why the pi / 4?

CompuChip said:
Exactly. So why the pi / 4?

I agree the pi/4 is wrong, but the period of r would be pi/2, which is also wrong.

Ah, you are right, the problem was in my wording. Thanks!

1. What is the equation for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve?

The equation for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve is A = 1/2 ∫ab r(θ)^2 dθ, where r(θ) is the polar curve equation and a and b represent the limits of integration.

2. How do you find the limits of integration for a polar curve?

The limits of integration can be found by setting the polar curve equation equal to 0 and solving for θ. These values will represent the starting and ending points of the area enclosed by the curve.

3. Can the area enclosed by a polar curve be negative?

No, the area enclosed by a polar curve is always positive. It represents the magnitude of the enclosed region and does not take into account direction.

4. How do you graph a polar curve?

To graph a polar curve, first identify the symmetry and important points of the curve. Then, plot points by substituting values of θ into the polar curve equation. Finally, connect the points to create the graph of the curve.

5. What if the polar curve intersects itself? How do you find the area enclosed?

If the polar curve intersects itself, the area enclosed can be found by breaking the curve into separate regions and finding the area of each region individually. Then, add the areas together to find the total enclosed area.