1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of polar curve

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area inside the larger loop and outside the smaller loop of the limacon r=.5+cosθ
    Picture here http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=r=.5+costheta

2. Relevant equations
    Area = .5∫r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    To get the area of the outer loop, you just get the value of the entire area, and then just subtract the area of the inner loop. I use two integrals for this

To start, i get the area of the inner loop.
    r=.5+cosθ
    -.5=cosθ
    θ=120 degrees or 2pi/3. and 240 degrees, or 1.33pi.
    .5∫(.5+cosθ)^2 evaluated at 2pi/3(lower bound on integral) and 1.33pi(upper bound on integral).
    I get .135879

Now, I have to get the area of the entire limacon. I use the bounds zero and 2pi

.5∫(.5+cos)^2 which 2pi as upper limit and 0 as lower limit.

I get 2.35619

Now, 2.35619-.135879 i get 2.2203.

This is the wrong answer though, the correct answer is 2.08. If i was to subtract another .135879 from 2.2203, that would give me the right answer. But why do i have to subtract another .135879? I should be getting the correct answer with the set up i have.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The integral right around will include the area in the inner loop twice: once as part of the outer loop and again as the inner loop part of the range.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    So your saying that it takes longer than 2pi to complete before it starts tracing over itself again? and idea how i can find the time it takes a polar curve to complete 1 cycle?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This integral needs to have dθ with it.

The inner loop is for the case where r is negative. That's for values of θ satisfying [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{2}+\cos(\theta)<0\ .[/itex]

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I'm not saying that. The outer loop range is θ from -2π/3 to 2π/3, say, and the inner loop from 2π/3 to 4π/3. Suppose the two loops have areas A and B. The outer loop contains the inner loop, so the area betwen them is A-B. You computed the integral from 0 to 2π, which is A+B. A-B = A+B -2B.

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6
    Hmm. you would think A+B-B, the B's just cancel and your left with A. but i guess not though

8. Apr 3, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But you don't want A. A is the area within the outer loop. That includes the area of the inner loop. you want A-B, the area between the two loops.

9. Apr 3, 2013 #8
    Hmm, ok thanks for explaining. Also, 1 small question. why is the inner loop at .5 at 180 degrees, when cos(pi)+.5 is actually -.5?

10. Apr 3, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When theta = pi, r = -.5 in the direction pi, which is the same as +.5 in the direction 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted