Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of polar curves

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    I am having trouble finding the area between 2 polar curves..... I have the procedure down, but the bounds are throwing me off. Any help with understanding how to bound would be great appreciated!

I have attatched one problem that I am having hard time with and the work I have done. I know that I am doing something wrong because I am getting a negative number for an area (which shouldn't be).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

You can't write that as one integral in that way. The Functions do not respond to the parameters the same way, different bounds are needed for each.
    [tex]\frac{A}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\pi}(1+\cos(\theta))^2 d\theta - \frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}(3\cos(\theta))^2 d\theta[/tex]
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  4. Jul 15, 2005 #3
    After working on it for a little while i arrived at the same expression.... and i was a little unsure about it, but you confirmed it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?