1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of portion of sphere

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    For a sphere, the relation between steradians and the area they cover is O = A/(r^2), in which O is the measure of the solid angle, A is the area it covers, and r is the radius. If I were instead given the half-angle of the steradian...meaning that if there was a central axis running through the solid angle, connecting the surface of the sphere to its center, the half-angle would simply be the angle between the central axis and the edge of the solid angle....then how would I find the area covered by the solid angle in respect to the half angle.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You can integrate over the sphere using spherical coordinates by:

[tex] \int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi \int_0^\pi d\theta R^2 \sin\theta [/tex]

The region you're talking about then corresponds to the range [itex]0\leq \phi < 2 \pi [/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \theta < \theta_0[/itex], where [itex]\theta_0[/itex] is the half angle. So you can find the area by evaluating:

[tex] A = \int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi \int_0^{\theta_0} d\theta R^2 \sin\theta [/tex]
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    ...wait...wut? I sort of half get what you're saying. I was using earlier the integral with the sine in it...but where did the integral of dphi pop out of?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  5. Feb 16, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Look up spherical coordinates.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?