1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of quadrilateral

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Is it true that the area of quadrilateral in general is the product of its diagonal divided by 2 ? Does this include rhombus or parallellogram ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did you mean "product of its diagonals divided by 2"? If so, this isn't true.

As a counterexample, consider a rectangle whose width is w and length l. The length of the diagonal is sqrt(w^2 + l^2). The product of the diagonals is w^2 + l^2, and half that is (1/2)(w^2 + l^2) != lw.

If that's not what you meant, what did you mean?

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    thanks Mark, yes thats what i meant.

I came across this question asking to find the area of quadrilateral and i have the values of its diagonals. I got the answer coincidentally by multiplying its diagonals and halved it.

What's the correct formula ?

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4
    no this is not true.

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    Refer to this quick diagram:

http://yfrog.com/afpf4j

OK so you know the values of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] right, and you need to find the area of the shape.

Obviously the area is given by [itex]X \times Y[/itex].

Also the length of diagonal [itex]A[/itex], which is equal to the diagonal length [itex]B[/itex], is obviously given by [itex]A=B=\sqrt{X^{2}+Y^{2}}[/itex]

If you follow your method:

[tex]\frac{A\times B}{2}=\frac{(\sqrt{X^{2}+Y^{2}})\times (\sqrt{X^{2}+Y^{2}})}{2}=\frac{X^{2}+Y^{2}}{2}[/tex]

Hence can see:

[tex]\frac{X^{2}+Y^{2}}{2}\neq XY[/tex]

Although like you said you can 'accidently' get the correct answer, if for example [itex]X=Y=2[/itex] but it's not true in general.

Hope that helps :smile:

7. Jun 14, 2010 #6

thanks ! So that method only works for quadrilaterals with all equal sides ie squares and rhombus.

8. Jun 14, 2010 #7
    I Believe that to be the case.

If the sides are equal:

[tex]
    \frac{A\times A}{2}=\frac{(\sqrt{X^{2}+X^{2}})\times (\sqrt{X^{2}+X^{2}})}{2}=\frac{2X^{2}}{2}=X^{2}
    [/tex]

Hence clearly:

[tex]X^{2}=X\times X [/tex]

So the method would work. But surely it's much easier to just use [itex]Area=X\times Y[/itex] :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook