Area of Rectangle: Find Number of Tiles Needed

In summary, the problem is asking how many square tiles with a side length of 1 foot are needed to create a single row border along the edges of a rectangular room with dimensions 12 feet by 16 feet. The correct answer is 56 tiles.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

The flour of a rectangular room has dimensions 12 feet 16 feet. How many square tiles each with side of length 1 foot are needed to make a border of single row of tiles on the floor along the edges of the room?
A 28
B 52
C 56
D 58

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

why not 1*192
what is this problem asking for.
give me a hint :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture.

vela said:
Draw a picture.
any hint of the picture ?

You need to make some effort into understanding what the problem is asking for. It's stated pretty clearly. What does "make a border of single row of tiles on the floor along the edges of the room" mean?

vela said:
You need to make some effort into understanding what the problem is asking for. It's stated pretty clearly. What does "make a border of single row of tiles on the floor along the edges of the room" mean?
Thankyou so much. I got the answer the answer by drawing the picture

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vela

1. How do I calculate the area of a rectangle?

To calculate the area of a rectangle, multiply the length by the width. The formula is A = l x w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

2. How do I find the number of tiles needed for a rectangular area?

To find the number of tiles needed for a rectangular area, first calculate the area of the rectangle. Then, divide the area of the rectangle by the area of one tile. Round up to the nearest whole number to get the total number of tiles needed.

3. Do I need to account for grout lines when calculating the number of tiles needed?

Yes, it is important to account for grout lines when calculating the number of tiles needed. The grout lines take up space and will affect the total area that needs to be covered by tiles. Make sure to factor in the width of the grout lines when calculating the area of the rectangle.

4. How do I convert the area of the rectangle from square feet to square meters?

To convert the area of a rectangle from square feet to square meters, multiply the area in square feet by 0.0929. This will give you the area in square meters. Alternatively, you can use an online conversion calculator or a conversion chart.

5. What is the best way to measure the length and width of a rectangle?

The best way to measure the length and width of a rectangle is to use a measuring tape or ruler. Make sure to measure from one edge to another in a straight line. If the rectangle is not a perfect shape, break it down into smaller rectangles and measure each one separately.